CMBB - Scenario design feature, captured units?

When placing units in a scenario design the designer has the option to give him a status - i was thinking it would be a great feature to give units a "Captured" status. Designers could then design rescue missions to free the captured units or objectives could be given to defend an area of the map and protect the prisoners!

CDIC

CDIC,

Try this with CMBO..

Put Green units with Low Ammo surrounded by enemy units behind enemy lines

Maybe they willl "automatically" be captured on the first turn giving you the set-up you want

Actually, near the end of WW2 General Patton ordered just such a mission to rescue his son-in-law, John Waters, from a German POW camp near Hammelburg. The mission was a failure, many of the troops "rescued" being killed during the escape through units of the German 7th Army.

DjB

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

When placing units in a scenario design the designer has the option to give him a status - i was thinking it would be a great feature to give units a "Captured" status. Designers could then design rescue missions to free the captured units or objectives could be given to defend an area of the map and protect the prisoners!

CDIC

Prisoners of War were all a bit problematic on the Eastern Front. I wonder whether many PWs were taken in the East outside of mass surrenders like 1941 and Stalingrad. And none of those men had a chance of rescue from tactical action (and most were killed or died from maltreatment anyway). But perhaps it's a good idea for when CM makes the transition to other theatres - The famous Vietnam prison raid perhaps?

[ May 25, 2002, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Determinant ]

Thanks for the replies - Jeff, i like your idea, it will give me something to think about. Sounds like it will work. I shall try it in a scenario.

The best scenarios are those that have objectives, and not just to occupy Flags, i think having prisoners can add a certain flavour to some scenarios.

Also, being able to order Engineers to throw satchel charges (At a structure, not enemy units) can make a big difference to scenario design - objectives could then include "Demolish a bridge or building".

IMHO small touches like these would enhance gameplay by using the creative talent of scenario designers.

Regards

CDIC

Originally posted by Determinant:

Prisoners of War were all a bit problematic on the Eastern Front. I wonder whether many PWs were taken in the East outside of mass surrenders like 1941 and Stalingrad. And none of those men had a chance of rescue from tactical action

You are simply not well informed. I can give you five-six incidents like that just off the top of my head. Including raids on concentration camps (don't remember camp names right now).