ASL Scenarios. Any Good?

I downloaded a metric buttload of ASL scenarios from Col. Klotz's excellent site

http://pub21.ezboard.com/basl2cm

(Nicely executed site, btw, Colonel...)

There is a great all scenarios zip file that makes it easy to get them all.

Has anyone played any of these? I have not yet, and I was wondering you all thought of them? I imagine they probably made good ASL fare, but how do they convert to CM?

I've downloaded almost all of them, being a long time ASL player. I've played several, so far, and have been very happy with them. They have typically been adjusted a bit for balance where they needed it, and it is wonderful to see the maps I knew so well in 3D. Play 'em, you'll like 'em. Col. Klotz' site is one of the best in the CM ring.

The ASL scenarios are for the most part 'Tiny' or 'Small' by CM's way of counting (HASL often being an exception). They're cool if you're looking for a quick fight with a smaller OB, or if you've got a slow machine. Many are infantry-heavy, esp. those from the Paratrooper series, if that's what you're looking for. The Kampfgruppe Peiper (KGP) HASL scens are unusual in that they are very large, 90 turns or so...these beasts may fit your criteria if you're in for the long haul. For some tanks, try "A Breezeless Day," "Under the Noel Trees," "The Mad Minute," "Tiger 222." There's a poll on Col. Klotz's site (the first one I think) soliciting favorite ASL-CM conversions, which might also be helpful.

Terence,

Of the ones I've played so far, for tricky attacks Marechal's Mill and King's Castle. Also Wollersheim. That one is veeery hard. Infatuate II features some terrain you probably haven't seen elsewhere and No Better Spot To Die has some interesting equipment.

I, personally, like larger scenarios/ops for the most part. If you do, the layered defenses you talked about can be put into practice in Scotland the Brave I/II, Beast at Bay, Bridge at Cheneux, and First Clash at Stoumont.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

If you do, the layered defenses you talked about can be put into practice in Scotland the Brave I/II,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just broke off a PBEM of Scotland the Brave II at the request of my opponent (who was saddled with the Scots) because it just was a one-sided slaughter. I have no idea who designed it, and I apologise if I step on someone's toes here.

I think I can not recommend this one as PBEM, unless the UK player is extremely good and the German player extremely bad. Even then the German player will have to make an effort to lose. You can practice defense in depth alright, but the attacker never stands a chance IMO.

I playtested 'No better place to die' by Cory Runyan and Berlichtingen and quite liked that. Difficult but not impossible in the attack.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-06-2000).]

That's the great thing about this game. Anything possible in real life is possible in the game. I had good experiences with Scotland the Brave I and II.

Terence, I still recommend you try them. Germanboy's opponent may have made some very bad or very unlucky choices to make their encounter so one-sided, you never know. I always give the AI a bump to make it better, so if you play them solo as the Germans, do that.

DEATH AND RUINS

--SPOILERS AHEAD---

Well, i had only limited time last night, so I fired up 25-turn Death and Ruins to play as the Americans, figuring that defending in the village would be interesting indeed, especially as I didn't have a clue where the Germans would be coming from, or what specific assets they might have.

As it turns out, things were rather quiet at first (which made me nervous) , but soon, three panther tanks and a stug 3 were closing in (from two or three different directions) blasing a way like crazy at village houses. The cads.

I lost one of my two Shermans to a rapacious Panther but before he bit the dust he, his wing man and a gallant zook out all three tanks and the assault gun.

It was a real nailbiter there for a couple turns, easing the remaining sherman and the zook closer -- not sure if moving into position to take out one attacker would expose me to a flank shot by another, unseen german tank -- as the enemy armor blasted first one, then another building to bits, killing many of the men inside. (Screams, rage, pounding on the desk.)

Im only on turn seven out of 25, and I'm not relaxing yet, but time shot by really really fast, its been a hell of a fight and it gives me great great hopes for the rest of this scenario and the others.

For one thing, a .50 cal mg and a couple squads are still hiding in a heavy building, which has a great field of fire to where I THINK the German infantry will advance.

Plus my reserve is in a nice position to .. ahem.... take the Opfor from the rear if they attack the town...

Finally,, I would be remiss if I didn't thank the indomitable Col. Klotz, and plug his excellent site again

http://pub21.ezboard.com/basl2cm

and thank Marko, the scenario designer?/adapter? for excellent work.

A wonderful evening on the front lines and the hopes of many more.

All the best to you, comrades,

Terence

_________

It is not enough that I should succeed. My friends must also fail.

TERENCE--and thank Marko, the scenario designer?/adapter? for excellent work.

***thanks

GERMANBOY -- just broke off a PBEM of Scotland the Brave II at the request of my opponent (who was saddled with the Scots) because it just was a one-sided slaughter. I have no idea who designed it, and I apologise if I step on someone's toes here

***the scenario (as in ASL) is very difficult for the British, the key to advance

in the clear field is to use the plenty smoke rounds of the spotter otherwise they will be butchered by the germans

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Culex Pipiens:

TERENCE--and thank Marko, the scenario designer?/adapter? for excellent work.

***thanks

GERMANBOY -- just broke off a PBEM of Scotland the Brave II at the request of my opponent (who was saddled with the Scots) because it just was a one-sided slaughter. I have no idea who designed it, and I apologise if I step on someone's toes here

***the scenario (as in ASL) is very difficult for the British, the key to advance

in the clear field is to use the plenty smoke rounds of the spotter otherwise they will be butchered by the germans<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well his spotter had a three-minute delay, and his forces were in enfilade due to the set-up and the lack of defilade positions, as far as I could tell. He stays I kill him, he moves, I kill him. BTW, I was not playing some moronic newbie who was doing this for the first time, but a vet with a long experience in wargaming who is also quite high in the ladders. So for the moment I stand by my observations, although I agree that as single-player, UK vs. AI it should be a real challenge and an interesting game. We spent a long time playing the scenario before it became absolutely clear that it would be a one-sided slaughter, and I am disappointed at the time we spent on it which could have been used more productively, and that is why I put out this advice.

It is not a bad scenario, by no means, but it needs serious work to be a scenario that is good to play as PBEM, IMO. The scenario designer can take this advice on board or leave it, and it is not meant personal or as a flame in any way. If he is interested he can email me privately, and I would be happy to discuss it.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-13-2000).]