Face of Battle

This is the title of a book by John Keegan - military historian who lectures at Sandhurst Military College in the UK. I think it's excellent - most of his books are - and I'd like both to get other opinions on it and to recommend it to anyone who hasn't read anything by the author. It tries to give an idea of what combat involved in four eras, from Agincourt to the Somme; and what motivated the combatants (rather than concentrating on the commanders as most military histories do) to risk themselves in warfare in each period.

I enjoyed the book. Two out of the three battles covered (the Somme and Agincourt) I was not very familiar with and so it was great learning about them with Keegan's prose. The analysis and anecdotes Keegan presents were all very interesting.

My only realy complaint (not really a complaint, more like an observation) was that Keegan is a bit of an anglophile and seems to deflate English casualties while inflating those of other nations.

Keegan writes a good story (ie he writes well, not that he writes fiction when supposedly writnig history!!) and this book is no exception.

It's a fascinating analysis of aspects of battle not often covered by other historians.

Well worth the investment I made in it a few years ago - it still gets the occasional read.

Damn fine read, and one of the fundamental military history books of our generation. It definded techniques for others to follow (Goldsworthy to name one) and brought genres to populations who never expected it. If you have not read it, read it now. It is worth the $9.95 and 2.5 hours by all means.

WWB

Face of Battle has been discussed several times here before; as far as social history goes, I can't think of a single book better. Keegan's ability to delve into the arcane and simple, yet completely essential matters, of a battle and give us a clearer view than centuries of paintings were able to do was quite astonishing. I'll never look at a movie or painting of cavalry charging square in the same way again.