Is this a bug or is it meant to happen?

Just playing a street fighting operation as axis.

When I tried to get my mortar to move between two adjacent heavy buildings, rather than move directly through as my infantry squads did, they went on a convoluted route, stepping out of the building, exposing themselves to fire and then heading back in to the next building to get to the position they were ordered to!

Is this a freak or does it happen all the time?

Surely this is not realistic, my limited knowledge of this type of warfare leads me to believe that troops simply used enlarged loopholes or made their own entances/ exits between adjacent buildings to avoid exposing themselves to enemy fire.

Given that the infantry can pass through why can't a support weapon?

Ok Ok I just tested it out! They ALL go round as Madmatt suggests.

I do find this odd though given that many street battles were fought out in European cities where there are great rows of, effectively, terraced houses, be it grand ambassadorial residences or smaller apartments.

Footage of the Iranian embassy siege in London years ago shows how close these buildings are, there are no gaps.

While the SAS attacked with stealth from the next building, presumably, in the massive chaos of a WW2 street fight, blowing a hole, or mouseholing, would have been relatively simple.

Clearly there is some logical thought behind the reason not to allow it, could somebody enlighten me on the reason for excluding it?

Thanks

Mercury said:

While the SAS attacked with stealth from the next building, presumably, in the massive chaos of a WW2 street fight, blowing a hole, or mouseholing, would have been relatively simple.

Clearly there is some logical thought behind the reason not to allow it, could somebody enlighten me on the reason for excluding it?

There was quite a bit of discussion about this. Those who have done it said that mouseholing is not a trivial operation. It requires a lot of special equipment and has a significant set-up time (for explosives) or work time (for picks). Plus it would be dangerous to friendly units in the same building. So the general concensus was that it really wouldn't be something you could do in a typical CM battle. Hence there wasn't really a good enough reason to make the (apparently significant) engine changes necessary to include this feature in the game.

Theya re called "rowhouses" and the wall between each is pretty solid. Would require breaching charges or more time than the scarion allows to break thru. There are a couple scenarios in CMBO with these type buildings. Cazn make city fighting difficult.