Bruyeres: Either a bug or the AI is too subtle by half

BTS: Bruyeres' briefing is very clear that the Axis will not receive any reinforcements. Nevertheless, in a PBEM game on turn 13 a PzIVG turned up and smoked the Allies' Ronson. Either the briefing is f^&%$# up, there's a bug, or the AI is infinitely sneakier than I ever gave it credit for...and it is a very worthy opponent even without having the ability to find PzIVGs where there aren't supposed to be any.

Would appreciate some enlightenment. Many thanks.

Cheers

Bill Acton

------------------

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Anon

Are you talking about the Allies' briefing or the Axis briefing? 'Cause if you're talking about the Allies briefing, then they are not accurate as to what really may happen. Or if you're talking about the Axis briefing, then are you sure you read it clearly. Or did you set the axis advantage up a bit at the start of the game.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Thansk for the reply

The Axis briefing is very clear, I think. No Axis reinforcements are to be expected. And neither side was given an advantage. But clearly the PzIVG appeared and toasted the Ronson. Clever heinies, wot? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Bill Acton

Bill Acton

------------------

Anon

Occasionally intelligence and promises are not totally accurate in war. Perhaps I made the unexpected too unexpected.

But then in a real battle, who really knows what can turn out. At least is wasn't a platoon of PzIVs

Sorry, Bill, if you're upset, perhaps a hint of something extra would have been good, but

I hesitate to spell out everything in black and white in a battle.

Somehow it seems very ahistorical to me.

You may disagree and you have that right. I can tell by your mail that you seem to be upset. I am sure the tank crew was very upset, but a little fortune of war is a good thing sometimes.

Of course, with this posting now there is no surprise. I guess you paid the price so that others wouldn't. Another common occurence in war.

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 07-02-2000).]

(If you've read this far, you've already encountered this thread's SPOILER...)

I played that scenario as the Axis recently, and the PzIV showed up just when I thought all was lost. Whoever that tanker was, he was my hero!

Of course, we still lost the battle. I just couldn't get my boys into the town after all.

Wild Bill: Sorry if I seemed upset at the "mystery" appearance of the PzIVG. Unpleasantly surprised is more accurate...I was playing Allies. My PBEM opponent was my brother, and in the postmortem he and I always conduct I was more than a bit curious as to where the panzer had come from (I know him all too well.) He denied any prior knowledge.

Am very glad to know that the people who put the scenarios together have REALLY taken "fog of war" to heart. Now we know that we can expect the unexpected, and there are 49 scenarios left. And I agree...it would be ahistorical to NOT do it your way. Maybe next time my brother will be on the receiving end of one of a nasty surprise.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work.

Bill Acton

------------------

Anon

Thanks Bill and the rest of you guys for supporting this in the scenario design.

I try very carefully not to OVERDO this. I don't want unpleasant surprises to be overwhelming. Now THAT would make me angry mad.gif

Just a little unpleasant :frown: or pleasant biggrin.gif surprise (Martyr's case) to make the adrenalin flow a little faster wink.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

they way i see it, the manual was pretty clear about discrepancies in intelligence.

the manual said that the intel in the briefings can range from right on to quite wrong. i think a single unexpected panzer iv is perfectly consistent with the manual.