A question about surrendering

If I've moved a number of my units off my friendly map edge (empty mortars, crews, etc.) and I am later forced to surrender, have those units that have moved off the map effectively made it to a safe rear position, or will they still be counted as having surrendered?

what about if i dont surrender and the game comes to a conclusion will the points i get be related to the troops I have on map or at set up

in other words if Im in a close draw match is it better to leave the crews on map or take them off

if I leave them on mp then my points are calculated as a percentage on all troops selected at the start of the game versus the enemy points, right ?

but if I take them off are my points calculated as a proportion of on map troops (ie losses versus alives) and then calculated against the enemy

If so I can see that if yor getting troops killed or captured it would be advantageous to move them off map (?)

The only points subtracted from your score are killed units (casualties) and captured units. There is no direct penalty for units that run off the board (or are ordered off by you.) Thus if you have 100 men killed and 50 run off the board, the 100 men will count against your victory total, but not the 50 men.

There is, however, a possible indirect penalty. As indicated above, units that exit the board cause your global morale to drop. If morale gets below 15% (and your opponent's morale is at least 4 times higher) your side will automatically surrender. Any units still on the board when you surrender count as "captured" and captured units cost twice as much against victory points as direct losses. So if your morale is approaching 15% and you want to avoid surrendering, you should avoid pulling units off the board if possible. Or have them all pull off in the same turn, so your side auto-surrenders but no one is actually captured.

Hope that clarifies things.