Your most frustrating CM moment

Combatants: 1 Tiger and 1 Panther vs. 1 Cromwell VI

Range: 150 meters

Tiger notices a Cromwell move out from behind the corner of a building @150 meters. Tiger takes aim, fires, Direct Hit!

Cromwell returns fire, misses!

Panther hunts up behind Tiger, notices Cromwell, and takes aim, fires! Direct Hit! Cromwell and Tiger reload like molasses. Panther fires again! Direct Hit!

Then like dueling banjos, Tiger and Cromwell fire at each other simultaneously. Hit! Hit! Double KO!

Yes, this truly happened. It took 2 hits from a Tiger and 2 hits from a Panther to take out a Cromwell at 150 meters.

Don't believe me? Ask my PBEM opponent, Sarge Saunders. It was *groan* his Cromwell.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

There is a small valley running aprox. East-West, and on the northern rise there are some scattered trees and mainly heavy forest.

I have a platoon of infantry there on the reverse slope with a split squad working as 2 LP/OP teams about on the crest watching for the enemy advance. Down in the valley a platoon of vanilla M4 Sherman are facing West towards an opening in the trees where I suspect the likely approach of the enemy. There is an M8 scout car guarding a less likely approach to their backs towards NW... just in case. On the South side of the valley my weapons Platoon Leader is spotting for a couple 81mm mortars. He has LOS to the valley entrance and the ridge above my infantry platoon.

I have set ambush markers place down at the entrance to the valley aprox 250 meters away and targeted them with my tanks.

Enemy infantry rushes the hill, and my LP/OP teams sound the alarm. Soon the enemy infantry is fighting a losing battle with my intrepid troopers. However, at this same time my weapons platoon leader spots 3 Panzer coming into the valley that break from the tree line and trigger the ambush by my tank platoon. YES! I guessed correctly! BOOM!!, BOOM!!, BOOM!!, BOOM!! the Sherman fire at the enemy Panzer and miss each shot! Arghhh!

The Enemy infantry now fires a few wild LMG bursts at the tanks, and they button up.

The Sherman fast turrets rotate around and begin to clobber the enemy infantry squads.

Further to the south, about 600 meters or so, an M4-76 Sherm is hulldown in overwatch and fires at the enemy tanks. BANG! One Panzer down! BANG - PING!! damn a Ricochet! One of the enemy Panzer is now ID'd as a possible Panther... and CRACK! the high velocity 75mm cannon gets a clean KO on the M4-76. The Sherman platoon is now maneuvering to face the enemy infantry, as the Panzers now wheel to engage them. SMACK!, BANG!, BOOM! The M4 Platoon ceases to exist.

I cannot wait for the new Covered Arc - Armor command!

Hehehe... sounds quite familiar to me, Kerry! :D

Still time for an honourable surrender, you know?

I had two Tigers in a village setting get KO'd by a Stuart frontally. Those were the only tanks I had which left me to take on the American armored assault with just men hiding in buildings. The Americans had about 10 armored vehicles total, 3 Stuart, 4 Sherman variants, 2 M10s and a Priest. This did not include the three half tracks they had and a slew of infantry (I try to always play giving Allied +25% to +50%). The Stuarts moved in first as sort of a vanguard to the rest of the American juggernaut and the first Stuart KO'd both Tigers frontally.

GAME OVER!

Spending just short of forever to place a 7500 point Ami attack force for a PBEM in their start positions... and having my comp lock up just before I click on the GO button.

I have since learned the value of the 'save' function for long depoyment phases.

Having a Vet StuG ignore orders to go forward down a hill. He decided to back up to get a better shot at some close infantry... thereby wiggling his butt over the crest for an ATG to take it off.

My all-time most frustrating moment was when I learned about this game and found out it had been out for 2 YEARS before I found it. It staggers the mind what I have missed.

In the Villers Bocage operation as germans:

Going down the road with tanks on both sides of

the road strung out in columns, then a sherman

crashes through the bocage in close quarters and

takes out five tanks because his turret rotates

faster, and my guys who could shoot at him

missed.

btw, has anybody ever had a vehicle that was

abandoned, KO'd ever return to service in

a later battle in an operation?