Problem operating assualt boats . . .

Gpig

I did a search for Assualt boats but have not found what I'm looking for.

I was playing my first scenario with assault boats and found a problem.

I thought you'd be able to load em up, send em across, unload em and then turn em around and send them back for another load of troopers.

While playing Polish at Ahrnem, I discovered that this was NOT possible.

I loaded my boats with as many men as I could, but did not have room for my Battalion HQ or my Company HQ. So I left them on the near bank with the idea that I'd be back to pick em up in a few minutes.

But when the boats make landfall and disembark their troopies . . . All of their order/commands cease to exist. All except Line Of Sight LOS.

I had to leave my poor HQ fellas waving hankies on the far shore. :(

Anyone else discovered this "one-crossing-only" use for assualt boats?

Gpig

OOOooooooH! smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif

I guess I should have left a couple of boats manned with PIAT teams or some such unit. And THEN turned em around to go pick up the leaders. Hmmm. That kind of bites a bit. smile.gif

Oh well.

Gpig

Yup. They are not Higgins boats w/ their own helmsman.

Its mildly annoying to me that in the scenario "Big Red Omaha," the pillboxes "earn" victory points by shooting up the abandoned assault boats. Then again, I took 80-85% casualties taking the ridgeline in my only attempt at that battle (ouch!), so KO'd 'boats were the least of my worries.

[ February 20, 2002, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Another oddity that I discovered with assault boats in this same scenario is that all of the assault boats have the notation "should exit for extra points" on the 'unit details' screen. Now, it's 900m from the water to the map edge where they are supposed to exit. Is it really possible to move the assault boats 900m through woods/trees/dry land, etc. to the map exit edge? Or was someone not paying attention to what units they were attaching that label to?

Hee hee! Gpig was maybe hoping for the zodiacs with the autopilot and the GPS, where all you have to do is whistle and they come to you... :D

In thinking about the Higgins boats, and the heavy coding that they would likely entail, I can understand now why the game is called "Beyond Overlord."

Hmmmm. I thought I saw that each boat had "1" crewman, once the troopers left. I might be mistaken, but could someone check for me? It'll be a while before I can fire up the game.

(I'm probably mistaken) smile.gif

Gpig

Yup. Looks like it's crow-eating time for a few of you know it all's! ;)smile.gif

This is right out of the game . . .

Allied Assault Boat

Type:.........................Boat

Max Speed:................2mph

Weight:.....................1 ton

Engine:....................2 horsepower

Silhouette:.................45

Transport Class:.........3

Passenger cap:...........Squad

They have a crew of 1 (one).

So in theory, those boats SHOULD be able to turn around after unloading a squad, and hightail it back to the opposite bank to pick up another load.

tongue.gifsmile.gif

KFS

[ February 21, 2002, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: KnifeForkSpoon ]

So would this be considered a bug?

Or is it just somthing that BTS decided did not matter enough to code-up? (Or never got there by release time.)

It's not like it really matters all that much, anyways.

Hmmm.

Gpig

Originally posted by KnifeForkSpoon:

Yup. Looks like it's crow-eating time for a few of you know it all's! ;)smile.gif

This is right out of the game . . .

Allied Assault Boat

Type:.........................Boat

Max Speed:................2mph

Weight:.....................1 ton

Engine:....................2 horsepower

Silhouette:.................45

Transport Class:.........3

Passenger cap:...........Squad

They have a crew of 1 (one).

So in theory, those boats SHOULD be able to turn around after unloading a squad, and hightail it back to the opposite bank to pick up another load.

tongue.gifsmile.gif

KFS

My theory is that a crew of 0 is invalid in CM terms, so BTS had to set it to 1. Besides, these boats were rowed; they didn't have 2hp outboards. Even if one man did stay behind, it's kind of hard to paddle a canvas assault boat with no keel or centerboard across a river. The 2hp figure represents the power of the squad rowing. It is about right, a really good rower can develop about .25hp, so a ten man squad paddling at .2hp each would total 2hp.

Of course, this horsepower calculation is not counting the effects of people shooting at you, or the rumors of girls and food on the other side of the river. There are also unconfirmed* accounts of officers shooting 3-day passes to Paris tied to rocks across the river in preperation for an assault crossing. These things need to be taken account when considering assault boat speed, IMHO. BTS fix or do somefink!

Also, I encourage everyone to take their troops commercial fishing in my gillnet skiff mod on The Last Defense.

*If someone can confirm the story I made up, let me know.