sturm

Hey

First off "Sturm" is not its nickname, that would be "STUG".

As for actually defeating them in an engagment, try using flanking attacks and superior numbers to thwart the Stugs. If they can sit back at long range in a nice hull down position they are deadly, don't allow them to. Push their flanks, hit them with smoke or high caliber artillery (could immobilize them which makes them useless or Gun Damage them). Make them move in bad weather conditions as they have a good chance of bogging.

You just have to be creative.

In a recent PBEM (russian assault, winter '42) a platoon of my T34s ran into three StuGs.

The T34s advanced cautiosly and once they sighted the STuGs the withdrew out of LOS immediatly.

I then used a 82mm FO to place a smoke barrage and raced the T34 platoon forward to flank the StuGs. An infantry platoon accompanied them and where ordered to move to a patch of woods on the far right flank.

The T34s charged across an open field, protected by the smoke barrage and managed to arrive in their new positions, covered by some woods. One of the StuGs bogged down when it was trying to engage the T34s (snowy ground... smile.gif ) and got hit by the T34s in the flank. I advanced one T34 and used the two others in overwatch position.

The infantry platoon was in place and broke out of the trees, to assault the remaining two StuGs, the three T34s advanced, attacking the withdrawing StuGs from two sides.

Got another StuG and was in a good position to destroy the last one when my opponent surrendered.

Your T34s are highly mobile, even in difficult terrain. They have turrets which the StuGs don't have, use that advantage. Coordinate the attack with infantry and arty (smoke).

If it's done correctly (and you have at least a bit of luck) the StuGs still are a serious threat but can be overcome with proper tactics.

[ November 08, 2002, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by Priest:

First off "Sturm" is not its nickname, that would be "STUG".

According to his profile, he's from Finland, where the Sturmgeschütze were called "sturmi" (Finns bought a few Stu-40's and StuG III's for the Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona, "Assault Gun Battalion").

[ November 08, 2002, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

In a recent PBEM (russian assault, winter '42) a platoon of my T34s ran into three StuGs.

The T34s advanced cautiosly and once they sighted the STuGs the withdrew out of LOS immediatly.

I then used a 82mm FO to place a smoke barrage and raced the T34 platoon forward to flank the StuGs. An infantry platoon accompanied them and where ordered to move to a patch of woods on the far right flank.

The T34s charged across an open field, protected by the smoke barrage and managed to arrive in their new positions, covered by some woods. One of the StuGs bogged down when it was trying to engage the T34s (snowy ground... smile.gif ) and got hit by the T34s in the flank. I advanced one T34 and used the two others in overwatch position.

The infantry platoon was in place and broke out of the trees, to assault the remaining two StuGs, the three T34s advanced, attacking the withdrawing StuGs from two sides.

Go another StuG and was in a good position to destroy the last one when my opponent surrendered.

Your T34s are highly mobile, even in difficult terrain. They have turrets which the StuGs don't have, use that advantage. Coordinate the attack with infantry and arty (smoke).

If it's done correctly (and you have at least a bit of luck) the StuGs still are a serious threat but can be overcome with proper tactics.

This is why I buy pzIVs sure they dont have the angled front 80mm mantle but they have a turret and are pretty mobile with the same 75mm gun I might add, Stugs are only good in 1 on 1 head to head engagements I like flanking my enemy.

Originally posted by Pak_40_Gunner[11b]:

Actually I was playing a game against stug's and I had a SU-100 or whatever it is and I was wipeing the map up with them. At close range I was taking stug's out left and right. From the front, from the side, from everywhere.

Yeah, but that's a bit like saying 'I had a nuclear rucksack bomb, and suddenly those Kingtigers were no longer a challenge.' The 100mm gun is a very different beast from the 76.2mm gun. You should not even need to get close.