Beaten in the Tutorial by the AI -- Sort of.

tar

Well, I had my first exposure to the new game. I really like the differences in gameplay.

I did, sort of, get beaten by the AI in the tutorial.

Spoiler:

I setup my Maxims and mortar as fire support under command of the company commander in the woods on the right flank. Tanks stayed on the left. The rifle platoon and battalion commander attacked through the woods in the center.

The AT gun revealed itself taking out a tank commander. (1 tank shocked). The 50mm mortar eventually killed the AT gun in return. Not seeing anything else, I sent two squads across the open to the woods using the Advance command. One was broken and the other pinned down by "sound contacts". Area fire by tanks helped a bit, but it took a while for me to finally get additional troops (Using the assault command) into the woods.

Once there, they were able to move through the woods -- although I ended up using the Sneak command. That was a mistake, since it doesn't do what it did in CMBO. I should have used Move to Contact instead. Anyway, somewhere around turn 20, the Germans surrendered and I won with a score of about 83 : 17

OK, so how did I lose to the AI? I tried the Tutorial from the German side. I lost that one 90:10 to the AI attackers. I tried it again and lost 86:14.

Analysis: The real strength of the Russian infantry is their close-in firepower from the 2 SMGs. Getting caught at long range plays more to the German infantry strength. Also, the AT gun seemed to not be able to do much against the T-34s, even when (I thought) that I had side shots. Actually I had side angle shots, and forgot that this also increases the effective armor thickness. Oops.

You were not the only one who was very surprised by the AI in their first game!!! I about cried when I lost to the AI in the tutorial (I played as the germans because I couldnt read the german demo text!!). I am sure when the full version comes out, the AI will be back to its normal self once we figure out all the new commands and FOW!

Chad