Huge Scenario Limits?

I am designing a huge scenario. I am concerned that it might be too huge and overwhelm CM's ability to handle it. :( Does anyone out there have experiences they could share about success/failure in designing such monsters?

The map is 4000 meters long by 1200 meters wide. This is widest map the CM system will allow with this long length.

Each side will have around 15,000 points worth of equipment. At most, a side might have 12,000 points on the board at one time.

I plan to use it to conduct a moderated operation for some friends of mine. IOW, I set up the opening conditions for each of a series of battles fought over the same terrain. Each battle's opening conditions will depend on the outcome of the previous battle. I'll present each player with an Operations Order or a FRAGO as appropriate.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Spiny Mouse

Thank you for the input. I didn't know about the 256 unit limit.

I've run a few experiments and even with just a couple of dozen units on the big map, my system calculates turn results very slowly. :rolleyes:

I think I'll have to do some of what the model railroaders call "selective compression".

My 333 mHz machine is starting to reveal its limits.

12,000 points per side is a lot.

i've designed one with about 20,000 total points before.

it's a good thing your battle will be human versus human.

in my experience the ai cannot handle 10-12,000 points very well.

using a celeron 400 with 66mhz bus it takes a good 5 minutes to compile a turn with those types of forces on a huge map.

andy

Ha LoL

I have played all the big ones available on my new machine(1,4 AMD with 256 mb and a Riva TNT 2 card)

it never took more than a minute to process a turn

On the other hand when I tried that on my Compaq with a P333 and 64 mb and a 4mb card it took up to 4 minutes to process a turn for August bank holiday and many times the machine crashed after 3 turns

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

If your CPU has the balls, you can choke down a scenario of the size you describe (although it may take several minutes for a turn to build).

Keep in mind that each side can't have more than 256 individual units.<hr></blockquote>

yes.. for example I was fooling around seeing if I can choke my G4 here. 2.5+km by 2+km each side having about 13000pts as it worked out.

I fired it up moving every piece, it took the computer to think its moves in 45 seconds and it took 13 minutes to render the movie!!...

A record I think in PBEM file size for me 5.2MB large!!

insane, there is no way I would play such a game I was just interested in what my mac could do.