Will infantry rarity be displayed in 1.01?

In a QB with variable rarity, it seems that infantry units are subjected to price adjustments just like any other unit. However, there doesn't seem to be a way of noticing this other than looking at the actual price for units on the right side of the screen. Will this be changed in version 1.01?

Dschugaschwili

PS: if you don't believe that rarity affects infantry, try the following parameters:

May '44, central region, high quality SS infantry, variable rarity. The Füsilier squad is identical to the Rifle squad, but they sometimes have different costs (base cost for a veteran squad seems to be 35 when bought as a platoon). You may have to try a few times to get different costs, but they definitely change between different games.

The problem is: how should it be shown?

I don't know where the infantry rarity kicks in. At squad level? Or at platoon level? And what value should be displayed for mixed platoons/companies/battalions?

The only satisfying way of displaying infantry rarity that I can think of would be adding a rarity column to the right side of the purchase screen (where the units you have bought are displayed). Then you could see the rarity values for every unit in a larger formation you consider buying.

Dschugaschwili

• 3 weeks later...

The rarity effects the price at all levels; squad, company and battalion.

I don't really see why the infantry rarity can't be displayed just like the rarity for all the other unit types.

The real questions I'm wondering about is why is it hidden how, and why doesn't anybody seem to care?

I guess my question is why would anyone care if rarity is displayed for anything. After all, knowing the % change due to 'rarity' doesn't affect my purchase choice. My choice is determined only the perceived usefulness of the unit in the expected battle situation and it's final cost relative to everything else. That June 1941 88's are horrifically expensive is the important thing, not the rarity %.

On the other hand, it is interesting historical information. So I just answered my own question.

The whole point of rarity by price manipulation is to discourage people from buying rare units. If people don't know if its rare or not it rather diminishes the effect.

Knowing how usefull the unit will be in the expected battle situation depends on knowing what the battle situation will be. If a number of setting are set to random this cannot be known with any degree of certainty.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Infantry rariety is NOT displayed in v1.01.

Will it be in 1.02? I don't know.

Madmatt

Ok, thanks for the update. But, if I may ask, why is it not displayed? Is it a bug? A design decision? What is the rational behind it? It makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

Infantry rariety is NOT displayed in v1.01.

Will it be in 1.02? I don't know.

Madmatt

Ok, thanks for the update. But, if I may ask, why is it not displayed? Is it a bug? A design decision? What is the rational behind it? It makes no sense to me.</font>

Ok, here's a simple idea.

When purchasing formations that contain more than one infantry type, the rarity for the predominant infantry type in that formation will be used for all infantry in that formation. Yes, that means some infantry will sometimes have a different rarity if purchased in a formation rather than individually, but I don't see a problem with this since it will generally be less rare within the formation than without, therefore encouraging purchasing by formation (that's a good thing, right?).

It's certainly a lot better than having it hidden, which I find extremely annoying. Opinions?