Bailed Gun Crews

I do not know if this is only a sound issue or if it is an algorithm issue. I had an AT gun destroyed by fire and the crew bailed and immediately became paniced. The crew then began to run around back and forth trying to find a place to hide while being shot at by numerous bullets. I kept hearing a bullet vs metal sound as the bullets hit the crew. It is as if they are still getting credit for a gun shield even though they are running around like idiots in the open. While I heard these bullets vs metal sounds, not once did the crew receive any damage. The crew was able to sustain a lot of incoming fire while running in the open for two or more turns. :confused:

Id say they got lucky icedog smile.gif

When one unit fires at another, the rounds can hit other units in the area as well as other objects such as tanks or guns. Although you were hearing the rounds striking the gun, they crew werent recieving any bonus from the gun shield after they bailed. Generally crews dont last long onces they start running, so I think they were just lucky this time. smile.gif

Dan

Supposedly there is some sort of maximum distance a crew can be from such a target (AFV, gun, etc.) where the 'pinging of metal' sounds will continue. Beyond that you should get the 'bullets stiking ground' sound. I don't think that LOS is taken into account for this (i.e.- the target is approximately in line with a metallic object or building from the shooter), but it might be.

When incoming fire occurs the code looks at all the terrain and objects within about a 15 meter area from the target. It then randomly pics which impact noise to play based on what's around. If there is a vehicle or AT gun in that area it could play the bullets on metal sound.

If it was further away than that there could be a problem with the wrong noise being played, or maybe just a misnumbered wave file in the demo.

Right now here are the different types of impact noises.

Bullets hitting dirt

Bullets hitting water

Bullets hitting trees

Bullets hitting rocks and pavement

Bullets hitting metal

Bullets hitting structures/buildings

and then there are some special ones for mg's hitting vehicles.

Madmatt