CMBB - System Requirements?

Basically the biggest difference in the hardware requirements (which haven't been officially posted to my knowledge) between CMBO and CMBB is a video card that has more VRAM. It would also be best if your CPU is faster and that you have more memory than the miniums stated for CMBO.

If you can currently run a large number of high-res textures with a large battle in CMBO and you're satisfied with that performance, then you should be OK for CMBB. The larger maps and larger numbers of units that are now possible in CMBB may mean that you'll want a faster CPU to calculate turns with a lot of shooting and more memory to handle these larger battles (but all of the battles in CMBB aren't regimental-sized monstrosities).

One of the biggest differences between CMBO and CMBB from a performance standpoint is that CMBB has more polygons and much higher resolution textures than the stock ones that came with CMBO. I would suggest a video card with 32Mb or more of VRAM to take advantage and handle all of the graphic improvements in CMBB. While 8Mb is the minimum VRAM requirement for CMBB it usually results in 'downsamping' of the textures which makes them a bit blurry in appearance (and it may make enabling some visual features problmatic in terms of performance). Though I've heard that this looks fine on some Mac Powerbooks with 8Mb VRAM.

For memory I'd suggest 256Mb of RAM. While this amount won't be necessary to run CMBB, it will give you breathing space to handle some of the largest battles possible (though I'm not sure what the actual memory requirements would be if you tried to run CMBB at its actual map and unit limitations).

CPU speeds are a matter of preference. Faster CPUs basically let you scroll around the battlefield with less 'stuttering' (in conjunction with a fast video card which can make a bigger difference in this regard) and primarily make 'turn-crunching' faster, especially when there are a large number of gun-caliber units firing. CMBB will probably be a bit slower than CMBO on your current comptuer, but I can't quantify what that speed difference would be. It may not be a big enough difference to warrant a complete upgrade of your system.

[ July 12, 2002, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

You covered everything except the one item that is actually tight on my own system. Hard disk space. I have a 64 meg video card and 384 meg of RAM and a decent pentium 3 processor. But the old 10 gig hard drive my system came with is getting pretty full by now, and I've noticed some games these days think nothing of scarfing up 2 gigs of hard disk for a full installation. So the real question for me is will I need to put in a 40 gig drive and copy over everything, or not? Thus the question - how much hard disk installation space is CMBB going to want?

Release date and requirements were what I was waiting for too. I know there were/are some conflicts with some systems (e.g. cards that don't do smoke well, some soundcards and even the OS). Are there any (or combinations of any) to avoid?

I couldn't help but note that since the new Nvidia GeForce cards have come out some people have had "issues" running CMBO. I'm one such person - my old Viper card actually looked better than the new GeForce4 does. Anyone know...have they addressed this in CMBB?

Only the GeForce 4's seem to be having a problem with the FSAA modes and CM. All other GeForce/TNT cards seem to be working fine, so there will be no change for CMBB. Again, like previous issues with the NVidia line of chipsets - it's the driver that has the problem and not CM and we'll have to wait until NVidia fixes it. Others will recall when there were problems with FSAA (all Windows versions) and text under Windows 2000/XP.

[ July 14, 2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]