Hulldown/Turretdown?

Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

I've also noticed this. It doesn't happen too often, but enough to be an irritation. I am ok with a tank "digging for turnips" as someone said earlier smile.gif But after 1 shot like that, or at most 2, I would hope any gunner who is not severely retarded would change the elevation of the gun to prevent anymore digging.

Watching a tank fire round after round into the earth while trying to hit a target is a wee bit frustrating.

I don't know about in the game, but in real life, increasing the gun's elevation wouldn't do much to help. Yes, it would fire over the terrain, but then it would also fire over the target. What actually needs to happen is for the vehicle to advance far enough so that the terrain is no longer blocking the shot. What's happening in the game at present appears to be the LOS is being incorrectly reported. Or something.

Michael

Michael,

I agree, advancing a little further would be the solution. In fact this is what I manually need to do after "hull down" has been achieved by command. It seems like the AFV advances seeking hull down until the TC actually has LOS and not nessisarily the gunner. Actually this brings up another question. Does it (in game) change the height of the AFVs LOS depending on wether the TC is buttoned or unbuttoned?

The funny thing is I don't remember it being this severe in v1.0.

GreasyPig

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt. Beavis:

I've also noticed this. It doesn't happen too often, but enough to be an irritation. I am ok with a tank "digging for turnips" as someone said earlier smile.gif But after 1 shot like that, or at most 2, I would hope any gunner who is not severely retarded would change the elevation of the gun to prevent anymore digging.

Watching a tank fire round after round into the earth while trying to hit a target is a wee bit frustrating.

I don't know about in the game, but in real life, increasing the gun's elevation wouldn't do much to help. Yes, it would fire over the terrain, but then it would also fire over the target. What actually needs to happen is for the vehicle to advance far enough so that the terrain is no longer blocking the shot. What's happening in the game at present appears to be the LOS is being incorrectly reported. Or something.

Michael</font>

Just adding my bacon into the fire . . .

I was playing a TCP/IP match and my T34/85 spend a minute firing into the hill right in front of itself. 5 damnable rounds!!! I needed every one of those HE suckers for the battle, as the tank only had something like 28 HE rounds to begin with. :(

Don't know if it's a "bug," but the tank crew should notice after at least 2 shots that they are digging a tunnel to berlin. smile.gif

I am, however, still a raging fanboy! smile.gif

Gpig

Originally posted by GreasyPig:

It seems like the AFV advances seeking hull down until the TC actually has LOS and not nessisarily the gunner.

It does sound like that, but I'd almost swear that some time ago Steve posted that LOS is determined from the center of mass of the vehicle, which would place it close to or actually below the gunner's station. Then there is the fact that hulldown vehicles can still be hit on the upper hull. Maybe the confusion is only in my own mind, but there's enough there to keep things stirred up...

Michael