How to overcome Germany's "No SS allowed" laws?

Howdy gents,

Since I am a resident of Europe it seems I'm stuck with CDV's PC version of our game. That means all my SS units are designated "Waffen Grenadiers". Now that's just plain silly. I'm not one of those "infatuated with the SS" geeks, but I do like my units to have some relation to their historical counterparts, instead of some fairytale generic designation like "Waffen Grenadiers".

I do have the mods that convert flag graphics etc, but so far haven't found anything similar for the unit designations.

SO - I read that there is a patch for CMBB where the units are renamed to Waffen SS. Is there a similar patch for CMBO?

Um...

In CMBO the troops are named correctly, as Waffen SS. At least if you bought the game few years ago, when you only could buy the game from USA. Today they are selling CMBO in stores and about that version I cannot say a thing.

There is a patch for CMBB that renames WG troops to Waffen SS. Unfortunately the site where this patch was, went down about a week ago, if I remember it right. I never got a chance to download this patch, sorry to say because I really would have liked to have it.

I'm hoping it will be put available to some other site in near future.

This topic also is not a new one and if you do a search, you should come up with a quite a number of posts.

Hi P5,

>In CMBO the troops are named correctly, as

>Waffen SS. At least if you bought the game few

>years ago, when you only could buy the game from

>USA. Today they are selling CMBO in stores and

>about that version I cannot say a thing.

Yeah, I just bought CMBO a week ago (jeez, has it been only a week? The days have kinda blurred into each other...) smile.gif It is published by CDV, and the SS is designated as "Waffen Grenadiers" So from your reply I'm guessing there is no such patch for CMBO? Or would the CMBB one work for CMOB? (not likely, I know)

Redwolf:

>The SS-Runes (the symbols) are a different

>matter

Amazingly, the SS runes ARE in my version of CMBO. I'm almost certain they were before I modded... Seems inconstistant. I'll check to make sure.

I just thought I'd mention how to completely remove the "WG" censorship from CMBB.

Step 1: Download the anti-censorship patch. It seems the site it was on is now gone. Try searching on the net and you might find it though. The filename is "Schoerners CM2 AntiCensorshipLoader V2 incl BlitzVersion.zip"

Step 2: Download the scenario icons mod, to get rid of the "WG" icons. Here's the URL: http://www.taylortaylorltd.com/pics/CMBB/sceniconbar3.1.zip

Step 3: Download the scenarios for the US version of CMBB. This removes the censorship in the scenario briefings. ftp://www.battlefront.com/pub/misc/Scenarios.zip

If you follow the above steps, you'll have a completely uncensored CDV version of CMBB... ;)

Originally posted by Flesh:

I just thought I'd mention how to completely remove the "WG" censorship from CMBB.

Step 1: Download the anti-censorship patch. It seems the site it was on is now gone. Try searching on the net and you might find it though. The filename is "Schoerners CM2 AntiCensorshipLoader V2 incl BlitzVersion.zip"

<...>

Doesn't really help me with CMBO though. smile.gif

Say, this censorship (names of units) is probably coded into the executable, right? Would it be possible to have somebody send me an "uncensored" executable and then just use that? Or would it likely be incompatible with my cd?

Jonp:

Originally posted by jonp:

Who really cares if a unit says "SS"???

I never understood why people care so much

Well... Like I said, I don't care much for SS-adoring geeks. In fact, swastikas don't do it for me at all, even in the context of WWII. I downloaded the swastika unit markers, but after one game I went back to the ol' trusty Balkankreuz. Reason for this: I don't think I've ever seen a tank marked with a swastika, they all used the balkankreuz. It all comes down to immersion and what feels right. That's why I take exception to renaming units and pretending that a part of history never happened...but this is kinda straying away from the topic of Tips&Tricks... smile.gif

Joques, you can alter the names of any unit in CMBO using a resource editor to change the main exe file. Just back it up first, load the file as a resource and search for the name you want changed. The only caveat is that you must rename it with a name exactly the same length (though spaces will do). I did this myself when all the original furore was going down and it is only a few minutes work.

If you have any trouble, send me an email (I think my address is in my profile). Worse case, you can send me the executable (zip it, I'm on a 56k modem) and what you want changed and I will mod it for you.

[EDIT] Doh! Bad assumption! Just looked at the CMBB exe. Charles has changed the way he stores the names of units from CMBO days. You no longer can just edit the resources. I will look at this further - it can't be that hard to modify.

[ November 05, 2002, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Caesar ]