New models for CMBB

Homer

Ok, I'm sure there already are lots of threads concerning this question, but the only one I found was in Toms CMHQ, and no one answered this poor guy yet.

Here's my question:

Is it possible to change the existing models in CMBB, or even create new ones??? That would be sooooo cool as long as no one decides to make ferraris or tie fighters like in OFP. :rolleyes:

Ahhh! And before I forget it: What's the meaning of a negative rarity value? I guess one of the German halftracks has a value of -10%. Is it getting cheaper any time you buy another one?

Originally posted by Homer:

Is it possible to change the existing models in CMBB, or even create new ones??? That would be sooooo cool as long as no one decides to make ferraris or tie fighters like in OFP. :rolleyes:

Yes it is possible, but I don't think BFC will allow this for thirdparty add-ons.

Besides the vehicle info info is hard-coded so there really isn't any difference between a IS-III that looks like a IS-2 or a Tie-Fighter.

Ahhh! And before I forget it: What's the meaning of a negative rarity value? I guess one of the German halftracks has a value of -10%. Is it getting cheaper any time you buy another one?
It means it is so common you pay 10% less than you normally would for each vehicle.

With variable rarity a specific vehicle can be cheaper than normal so you can buy a vehicle that is normally rare but happens to be in good supply at your bit of the front, that could also lead to a negative value.

[ September 27, 2002, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Just to clarify, both the vehicle stats AND the wire frame are hardcoded in CM, not just the stats. Short of disassembling the EXE (huge *no,no* and a violation of the user agreement) you can change the skin only, not the shape. So not only would it not act like a tie-fighter, it wouldn't look much like one either.

I'd rather play with T-34/85's anyway :D

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Short of disassembling the EXE (huge *no,no* and a violation of the user agreement)

As if the user agreement were actually legal in most countries. Mind oyu hacking the .exe might violate the DMCA if you live in the U.S., but for most "civilised" countries it's not an issue. Not that it's worth doing, in any case, but don't let click through agreements on software worry you. :)

Onnel

P.S. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble or how well it would be possible to make it to work in CM in any case. They choose to make a game that is mostly non-moddable (actually just very, very difficult to mod) for their own reasons which have been discussed to death already.

Originally posted by Onnel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Old Dog:

Short of disassembling the EXE (huge *no,no* and a violation of the user agreement)

As if the user agreement were actually legal in most countries. Mind oyu hacking the .exe might violate the DMCA if you live in the U.S., but for most "civilised" countries it's not an issue. Not that it's worth doing, in any case, but don't let click through agreements on software worry you. :)

Onnel

P.S. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble or how well it would be possible to make it to work in CM in any case. They choose to make a game that is mostly non-moddable (actually just very, very difficult to mod) for their own reasons which have been discussed to death already.</font>

Originally posted by russellmz:

ALWAYS read the click thru license. there was a big deal a while back where some free music player wound up uninstalling and deleting an adware blocker on people's computers without their permission or knowledge.[/QB]

Totally agree that you shoudl read it so you know what they *think* they're entitled to do/limit you to and what they plan to do. Just don't expect yourself to be 100% legally bound by the click through.

Onnel

Originally posted by Homer:

Nonsense! smile.gif I think this is exactly what the CM engine needs! I'd love to play the battle of Hoth using CM. I wish Lucas Arts would license the CM engine from BTS and make a game in the Star Wars universe.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that the engine hasn't been licensed yet - it seems fairly flexible and could be used either for another perdiod of time or for a detailed fantasy game.