Soviet AT granades - penetration 120mm

Originally posted by Bastables:

I'm sure the use of Jerry rickets occured before Uncle Joe's orgens, opening bombardment of the invasion into Russia.

Lucas in 'War on the Eastern Front' puts the date of commissioning the 15cm Nebelwerfer 41 in May 1941. The weapon was ready in 1937, but only older models were used in Poland and France to create smoke-screens.

Achtung Panzer says that four regiments (battalions) participated in the opening barrage, as you say. First use of Katyushas I have seen mentioned is in one of the encirclement battles west of Smolensk (probably Orzha as previously mentioned). The Katyushas stopped a German advance. They were used a few more times and then destroyed to prevent them from falling into German hands.

That's why many german tanks had "Schuerzen" or skirts on the side...., nice to see them effective in CMBB.

Or ever wondered why some of the very late Stug's or even Shermans were plastered with a thick layer of concrete ? The russians found out another trick to protect their tanks plates against HEAT-charges, they used beds !!!! The springs and tight wiring effectively held off the panzerfaust !!!

:D

TSword..

That's why many german tanks had "Schuerzen" or skirts on the side....,
A side effect, originally they were fitted to protect against 14.5mm ATR's.

Or ever wondered why some of the very late Stug's or even Shermans were plastered with a thick layer of concrete ?
Yes, what was the reason? I have always thought it was the fear of pretty much everything "out there".

they used beds !!!! The springs and tight wiring effectively held off the panzerfaust !!!

I think you will find that if you ask they Soviets they will deny that, or at the very least tell you that it was limited to only a handful, if that, vehicles.

--

Another cheerful post smile.gif

M.

Originally posted by TSword:

The russians found out another trick to protect their tanks plates against HEAT-charges, they used beds !!!! The springs and tight wiring effectively held off the panzerfaust !!!

:D

urban myth.

though they might look remotely like bedsprings, they were actually specifically manufactured mesh-wire skirts.

the germans worked with mesh-wire skirts, too.

I don't remember many details, but first soviet rockets (NB: I am neither talking about the middle age chinese variety; nor the fireworks) were combat trialled in late 30s. Launchers were installed on I-16s.

As artillery, apparently, they appeared at the same time as germans' - which is something I didn't know.

Anyway, a notion that soviet rocket artillery development was somehow stopped in 1939 seems to be at odds with facts.