What's the deal with those German armored cars?

I mean first you have the 221 which goes 56 mph and only has an MG to shoot with.

Then on the 222, they decide to add a 20mm main gun along with the MG and the mph drops down to 53 mph. Okay, makes sense.

But when they next make the 223, they decide to get rid of the main gun and go back to just having the MG but the car is slower than when it first started as the 221, going only 53 mph.

What's the deal here? Why is the last model in the series slower than the first one and yet has the same specs?

I think its the new fuel economy laws in the States.

Seriously, I never noticed that before. Is the engine and hp the same? It may have been mods to the powertrain for changes in weight due to armor or communications equipment. It may have also been changes in suspension for better off-road performance. I'll look it up when I get home.

I just checked a reference and it states that the 222 is about half a ton more in wieght than the 223, but with the same engine, initially. Most of that weight is probably in the turret's 20mm cannon and ammo. It appears that the 222 may have gotten a larger engine later on and this may be the discrepency you see.

Not definitive, but it may help rationalize it in our minds.