CM2 and corrupted text.

misery

Can someone tell me if CM2 will have the same problems as CM1 when running a Geforce video card on Win2k or WinXP? I'm referring to the corrupted/invisible text problem.

I only ask because I can get a new vid card for Christmas. If the problem will persist in CM2, I'm gonna get a Radeon 8500.

Thanks,

There are attempts to get rid of the 'white transparency' problem (that is what you're actually seeing) in CMBB (CM2), by reducing the amount of white in the 2D information/selection screens. If you update (or downgrade) to the 15.70 drivers for Win2K/XP (and set FSAA to 2X) you won't have any problems. This is basically a driver issue and NVidia may fix it at some point.

A Radeon 8500 may not support fog-tables properly (like all other ATI video chips under DirectX). I've got one myself, but I haven't tried it out with CM yet.

Thanks for the info Schrullenhaft.

If it's not too much trouble when you try CM with the 8500 could you post your results regarding the fog table problem?

If the ATI has probs also, I'm really stumped as to which card to go with. I currently have a GF2 GTS (on a Win2k system), but I use the 22.40 drivers since I play a couple of DX8 games. I was hoping the 8500 would be the answer to my prayers. Being able to play all games without driver swapping. Enough rambling, again thanks for the information.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: misery ]</p>

The 15.70 drivers were just released last week (Nov 23rd) and they're DirectX 8.x compatible to my knowledge. They probably don't have all the features of the Detonator 4 family (21.xx - 22.xx), but I'm not sure what the exact differences are anyway.

If you're running in 32-bit color, ESC or ALT-TAB'ing to the desktop and then remaximizing CM usually brings back the white portion of the 2D screen elements. If you don't want to go to 15.70, then this would be your best method right now. Also the Deanco Interface mod (which you can find the link from CMHQ) will minimize the amount of white that is present and thus reduce the problem somewhat.

Schrullenhaft,

I tried the 15.70 drivers and they made the skies in Aliens vs. Predator 2 look all screwy. :( Minor detail I know, but overall 22.40 also seem faster. I guess it's a trade-off. Once I finish AVP2...hummm then maybe 15.70's. First person shooters come and go but CMBO is forever. ;)

With that said I followed your suggestions and made an attempt to get the 22.40's to work. I set my desktop color to 32bit (from 16bit) and tried the escape thing. That works pretty well, makes the pre-game screens totally clear, and the in game menus are legible. I also loaded the deanco interface mod, which helped. Alot of the affected in-game text is now yellow, circumventing the problem. Neat. The clipboard mod for the right click orders menu helps also. So bottom line CMBO is now playable, thanks.

If you try CMBO with your 8500 I'd be curious to hear the results.

Excellent question Pat. :D

Does anyone know what hardware/OS was used to develope CMBO?

I would assume (and we know how dangerous assumptions can be), given that CMBO came out a relatively long time ago, that if they used GF vid cards on Win2k PCs they were using older drivers that did not present the issues we are seeing with the later Detonator series.

Is this assumption off the mark? :confused:

A Mac was the primary development platform for CMBO.

What Charles used for the DirectX coding I don't know. I don't think it was done on a Win2K machine with a NVidia card in it (Win2K had only been out for a short while by the time that CMBO was released). Apparently the 3.68 drivers don't have this problem (but of course these won't work with the latest GeForces). I can't remember if the Detonator 5.xx/6.xx series had been released at this point (these drivers had the white transparency problem).

wwb_99 - I wasn't aware that the 14.70's worked also. I specifically tried out the 15.70's that were released last week. Same settings as your 14.70's to clear up the white transparency issue. I don't know if these are any faster or what other particular differences there are between them.

Hehe, just a bit of confusion on my part, Schullenraft. I posted a thread which was soon forgotten stating that I had got the GeForce/Win2k problem solved with those drivers, and I thought someone had misquoted me. Have since seen another one of your posts and things are much clearer.

For the record, I get the same blocked out name problem during calculation. Also looks like the 'thinking' bars are slightly off kilter (1 pixel gap on the top side).

WWB