Ampulomet???

It's an anti-tank mortar that shoots a flammable gel projectile (like a molotov-cocktail) over short distances... A bit like a PIAT, but worse :D

It's anti-tank capabilities were not noteworthy and it was quickly withdrawn from service, it does have interesting secondary applications though.

i'm playing a qb where i got several of these with my inf battalion. never heard of them before this battle. anyway, they fire a flame projectile up to 250 meters. unfortunately, in the battle i'm in, it's a cold, rainy day, so the fire goes out almost immediately. they don't seem to be very accurate either(is anything russian accurate!?), but that could be because the computer, in it's infinite wisdom, gave me conscript troops. lol...

Ampulomets are for weenies and cricket players. Real Heroes of the Soviet Union (posthumous) and wearers of the Order of Lenin (posthumous) drop Molotov Cocktails down the tank hatch by hand while shouting 'Die Hitlerite Twats in Tanks' and singing the words of 'It's my party and I cry if I want to' to the tune of the Soviet national anthem (try it - thanks John ;) ) with the voice of Jeremy Hardy.

You all know nothing about the Eastern Front!

Short range? Inaccurate? An ampulomet took out my Hummel in 2 shots from 200m! Open-top sp guns really don't like them. Let's not even mention targetting a dry wheatfield where infantry is hidden. They may not be the ultimate weapon but they do have their uses in a combined arms battle.

Originally posted by Foxbat:

It's an anti-tank mortar that shoots a flammable gel projectile (like a molotov-cocktail) over short distances... A bit like a PIAT, but worse :D

I would have thought that the Northover Projector and the Bates Eight-Barrelled Bottle-Thrower (IANMTU) would have been nearer comparisons.

I must say that I am absolutely delighted to know that the Ampulomyot features in CM:BB.

Did the Black Sea Marines make it in? They are another of my favouite Russian Front things.

Now, how long will I have to wait before I see the LMG rocket-mine and the 37mm spade-mortar?

Trolley flamethrowers and mine dogs? Aerosans, Cossacks, mule-packed katyushas, mobile pillboxes, armoured trains and Volga gunboats?

[Eyes go glassy, subject sings a few bars of "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" to the tune of the Soviet national anthem, then falls into a dead faint.]

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

I would have thought that the Northover Projector and the Bates Eight-Barrelled Bottle-Thrower (IANMTU) would have been nearer comparisons.

Maybe (never heard of the eight-barrel-bottle-thrower before, sounds like it belongs in a scottish pub), but the PIAT is in CMBO smile.gif

Did the Black Sea Marines make it in? They are another of my favouite Russian Front things.
Not as such, but there are land-based sailors.

nav-is2-00.jpg

See also this thread: Russian Unit Pics, Last of the Preview

mine dogs?
No, the CM graphics engine didn't allow for a proper animation of the dog being thrown at the tank. Maybe something for the engine rewrite? ;)

[ October 09, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

John D Salt mentions Aerosans?

You don't know how close Aerosans came to being in the game. But there were two big snags - How to isolate the vehicles so they'd only show up when snow was on the ground (terrain cover and vehicle selection aren't linked), and there was the problem of how to model their movement up hill , turning, etc. Aerosans don't move like normal vehicles. It would've required a LOT of vehicle-specific coding to just get a couple extra mgs onto the battlefield.

but they certainly were considered for inclusion in CMBB.

[ October 09, 2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Russian Marines are in !

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Foxbat:

I must say that I am absolutely delighted to know that the Ampulomyot features in CM:BB.

Now, how long will I have to wait before I see the LMG rocket-mine and the 37mm spade-mortar?

Trolley flamethrowers and mine dogs? Aerosans, Cossacks, mule-packed katyushas, mobile pillboxes, armoured trains and Volga gunboats?

[Eyes go glassy, subject sings a few bars of "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" to the tune of the Soviet national anthem, then falls into a dead faint.]

All the best,

John.</font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

...singing the words of 'It's my party and I cry if I want to' to the tune of the Soviet national anthem (try it - thanks John ;) ) with the voice of Jeremy Hardy.

Crap. Now I have to try this... where can I find a sound file of the Soviet National Anthem?

As a complete coincidence, I was playing a TCP/IP game the night afer this thread started and found his evil bolshivek ampulomets killing my tanks left and right! So much for being inaccurate! *argh/grin*

Not sure about the Soviet National Anthem initially, but it does work if you change the tempo! LOL