Useful Axis vehicles for Recon?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will probably use the 250/9 when I decide to use vehicles for recon. One thing I have thought about is buying a jeep or two to ferry around machineguns and/or panzersrecks/mortars in behind my own lines or to scoot across that bit of open ground to get my machineguns up to cover my infantry better. When my vehicles have a gun I hate to take it "off the line" because I always think I'll need it hehe

All

i simply love ppl doing rec with light armor.

it might seem plausible that light armor is good for rec ops against an enemy possessing little if any at capability but that's gonna be similar to using KTs as a rec units against enemy armor.

with a good at defense (layering, overlapping LOSs etc) you simply end up wasting vehicles (read points) for nothing. if your enemy relies on close range at capabilities, the freightened crew of your the eliminated vehicle may luckily end up reporting two panzershrieks for 20secs before passing away. in case your enemy possess mid-to-long range at capabilities it will let you go closer and an at gun will score a sure hit. as for your crew it will even have no possibility to report on the gun.

on the other hand 50mm might be a good choice for providing close cbt support to rec inf units. but that's a different story.

@ IMHO

Sure enough a good AT defense cuts life short for recon vehicles; That's why I do not expect my recon vehicles to last long anyway. And that's why I like the 20mm 250 HT - it's cheap and its small ammo load won't last long anyway...

I did have success in using those vehicles. Once I had two doing recon for me and an AT gun opened up on them. One got toasted but the other one took out the gun. Good trade I thought because the hidden AT gun could have hit instead one of my tanks following up.

I agree that Bazookas and Panzerschrecks are a cheap and good AT defensive. I use them often to cover my flanks. They can spot infantry coming up there and afterwards I can call in reserves to deal with it plus they can take care very well on their own of any lone scouting vehicles.

On the other hand if you are on the attack, you need something to scout for you. I do prefer infantry halfsquads supported by light vehicles (as the 250 20mm HT), but then sometimes you need to go real fast, especially in a meeting engagement, and that's when a pair of halftracks does a good job. Using a pair, maybe a 20mm and a 75mm, makes them more effective.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fred:

According to F.M. von Senger und Etterlin's book "Die deutschen Panzer 1926-1945", around 2300 PSW 234/x series armored cars were built(including Pumas).

This is quite a lot.

Fred<hr></blockquote>

Yes, but wrong :) That's probably a number of all 23x/x cars.

234/1: 200

234/2: 101

234/3: 88

234/4: 89

However, I cannot find the Puma "abuse" that bad, since they can be assumed to represent whole classes of 50mm-armed vehicles that are left out of the game: PZ III, halftracks with 50mm, Beutestuff.