reboot after minimize / maximize

Which version of the Kyro drivers do you have installed ? Do you know if you're using the 'Direct3D' defaults (in the Display control panel) ?

Unless you have the latest drivers, I don't think that DirectX 9.0 is going to improve your situation, unless your current DirectX install is corrupt, which doesn't sound like the case since you can play CMBB apparently.

Yes, I am running directx default settings. The kyro/prophet drv. version is 1.6.16.55. Also, I've just installed directx 9. I rebooted and tried again with the same results:

1)started QB,

2)hit "alt tab" to minimize,

3)click on the task bar to maximize

4)REBOOT occurs

What motherboard do you have and have you installed the chipset/AGP drivers for it (i.e. - VIA, SiS, ALi, Intel, etc.) ?

I personally haven't used the latest Kyro drivers and I've heard that some CM users have had problems with them (though none of the Kyro driver versions are perfect).

It's possible that the video card may be putting too much current strain on your power supply when the image is being maximized, causing the CPU to reset due to a dip in the electrical current level, but that is a wild guess.

Do you know if you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard (not that it may make a difference though) ? Do you know what your CMOS/BIOS setup settings are for AGP ? Such things as the AGP Multiplier (which may be called a variety of things), AGP Sidebanding (possibly disabling it if it is available - it rarely is); some AGP Driver values are probably best left at their default (a change here usually results in a booting problem more than anything else). The AGP Aperture should be set to 128Mb, but you may want to adjust this to see if it helps. Technically the Kyros don't really use AGP transfers of textures (uh... it doesn't make comlete sense to me, but apparently it's a feature of their architecture), so the AGP Aperture value may make little difference.

Hey, thanks for the time and advise.. It took me a while, but I finally came to the conclusion that I don't have an AGP card. It's the PCI card! So.. any AGP settings are not relevent to my machine. I did try a few more things though.. Uninstalled Norton utils (lots of stuff runnig in background), disabled NAV auto protect, disabled web content desk top. Still getting the same results :( I'm currently downloading the latest kyro drivers for my card.. they did have other (older versions), I'll try these and hope I find a good combination.

Thanks Again.

What other PCI devices do you have installed ? Do you have anything hooked up to the USB bus too ?

I'd still recommend installing the chipset drivers if you haven't already. Most of the issues are usually secondary buses and other minor details plus AGP drivers that can address some issues (though that won't be the case for you). On occasion some of these chipset drivers address some PCI issues (though not often).

Do you know if your video card is sharing an IRQ with another device ?

Funny you should ask!

After a while, I began to notice that I would always here the distant sound of artilary just before the reboot, although I would never see the CMBB screen. This got me to thinking what you already figured out. I looked and noticed my sound card (Delta M-audio) was using the same IRQ #9 as my prophet card. I disabled the sound card and presto! the problem went away. So, now the question, how the heck do I change this on a PnP system?

Between the video card drivers and the sound card drivers it seems as if your system doesn't like sharing an IRQ between these two devices. While 'sharing' an IRQ is 'legal' for a system, some drivers don't respond too well in these situations, especially when there's a lot of data flowing for both.

Reconfiguring the IRQ is a bit complex in a PNP system. Sometimes it's just downright impossible. Uninstalling all of the drivers for the sound card and moving it to another PCI slot would be a start. Most motherboards will assign certain IRQs depending on the PCI slot the device is in. Often for many (though not all) motherboards the first PCI slot next to the AGP slot will share the IRQ with the AGP video card. PCI buses are usually limited to 4 IRQs on P3/Athlon systems and earlier (P4's have more than 16 IRQs). If you have 4 or more PCI slots there will be mandatory sharing of IRQs between certain slots. You'll need to look at your documentation for your motherboard to see if it tells you which slots will be assigned to what IRQs (which will often be labelled 'IRQ A', 'IRQ B', etc.). Be aware that any device that is on the motherboard will also be using one of these 4 PCI IRQs (not counting the standard IDE controllers of the chipset). Such items as USB controllers (which may grab 2 or more IRQs), on-board sound, on-board networking, additional/RAID IDE controllers, etc. will be taking from these 4 IRQs (including, of course, the AGP video - if it is installed).

Some IRQ settings or PCI IRQ assignments can be changed in some CMOS/BIOS setups (though very few). This can help avoid moving PCI devices around physically, but you'll want to know what PCI devices you have installed and what IRQs their using, otherwise you may find yourself reinstalling other PCI device drivers (including your network - which may be a much larger hassle).