Favorite Small Scenarios

Things have been kind of slow lately on this page of the forum, so with the hopes of livening things up and also getting some useful information, I'm throwing out a question:

What's your favorite small scenario?

Small scenarios are cool, in my book, because you can fit them more easily into your life and maybe afford the time to replay them, get PBEM results quicker, etc.

My own current favorite is "Bavarian Breakout," available from the Scenario Depot. It has a interesting, attractive and complex map and a really intriguing balance of forces, with some heavy, late war armor to play with on both sides. The first time I played it vs. the AI, the game went down to the last turn. I think it slightly favors the Germans, but can be won from either side.

I like the map so much I've been playing around with different force balances in recent days.

I still enjoy Wiltz, Saving Private Ryan, Combat-Hills are for Heroes and Aachen. All are small and quickplay. Another couple of small ones that are fun to play more than once are Manhay-On the Prowl and Periers - Roaring Rescue.

For tank fights, Maastricht-Tanks Only and Elsdorf-tanks only can be playe rather quickly.

There are a number of other top notch small or quick play scenarios. I enjoy them all.

Wild Bill

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

I still enjoy Wiltz, Saving Private Ryan, Combat-Hills are for Heroes and Aachen. All are small and quickplay. Another couple of small ones that are fun to play more than once are Manhay-On the Prowl and Periers - Roaring Rescue.

For tank fights, Maastricht-Tanks Only and Elsdorf-tanks only can be playe rather quickly.

There are a number of other top notch small or quick play scenarios. I enjoy them all.

Wild Bill<hr></blockquote>

Wow! The man himself answers. That's the great thing about the CM forum.

I've never tried Private Ryan or Hills are for heros, or the tanks only versions of Elsdorf or Masstrich, so will put them on my list. All the other ones are great.

Manhay-On the Prowl and Periers - Roaring Rescue are both really intriguing "problem solving" scenarios that are fun to play vs. the AI. I also like the one where the British commandos attack the radar station--can't remember the name of that. I couldn't win any of these on the first try vs. the AI. They're a fun challenge in that way, and you can try different approaches till you find one that works.

Thanks Wild Bill for all your great work (though I'm still getting over some of the curves you've thrown me in the Rumblings tourney....)!

Plug your work, guys. You are proud of what you have done. You should be!

As long as a man can distinguish between pride and arrogance, he is okay. I sense no arrogance in these posts at all, just men who have worked hard and feel good about what they have done.

My congrats to all scenario designers who approach this aspect of gaming in that spirit.

CA, you have got some good choices here. Enjoy them. Let us know how you came out.

By the way, I like those small quick play ones too, the kind you hit when feeling frustrated and without a lot of time, or a "quickie" before supper or bedtime.

No big involvement, no forgetting what you were doing.

Don't get me wrong, I like an occasional mastadon of a battle too, but those little ones really grab my fancy!

Thanks guys. You really are very kind.

Yes, I have been called the "Widow Maker" by more than one gamer :eek: and am on the "most wanted" list of some angry spouses and mates. And it ain't the "good" most wanted list either ;)

WB

Thanks, guys!

I just played Saving Pvt. Ryan and Dirty Dozen and both were great!

Will catch up with the others soon.

Now everybody go play "Bavarian Breakout"--available at the Scenario Depot. I gave it to a friend and he played it three times vs. AI in a single morning. Now we're at it PBEM. Very replayable, obviously.