Need help with usenet's Combat Mission group

Apparently a Mr. GB that we all know and love has decided to see fit, as if we are best friends just because we are Canadian, to quote one of my posts from this forum to usenet. I have received two emails from seperate people inquiring about this - for the record, I have no affiliation with Mr. GB, nor do I necessarily want any of my posts here quoted in part or in full on usenet. I've certainly never given permission for such, and to top things off, this quote is being used to embarrass and attack another regular poster here at the BTS board.

Not sure what can be done about it, but I would appreciate if anyone actually belongs to that usenet group if they could make my (our?) disapproval known?

Well, the best thing to do would be not to make the original post. After all ALL GB did was quote what you had stated. That it was objectionable and rude had nothing to do with GB quoting it. It was all to do with you typing it in the first place.

Honestly, as I have recently found, you can't do anything about people quoting forum posts OR even private email in an attempt to stir up trouble/or whatever. The best thing to do is to simply NOT make the post/write the email to begin with.

Michael, you undoubtedly know this, but by posting on this forum you make yourself into a sort of an author and public figure. Maybe not an important one in the overall scheme of things, but one nevertheless. So you have to be prepared for some of the inconveniences that come with being known, such as being quoted, misquoted, derided, applauded, and possibly harrassed. That's public life, even in the tiny sheltered world that is CM. The best way to deal with this sort of incident is to ignore it. I wouldn't try to win any debate with someone like GB, or rally others to do so.

Fionn is correct in that there is nothing you can do about it practically. FWIW 'Netiquette', which can only be enforced on moderated groups anyway, normally has it that anything posted on Usenet can be quoted but quoting private e-mails without permission is supposed to be off limits. I'm not sure where that leaves web boards, personally I'd ask for permission before quoting, as I have no guarantee that you read the specific news group, or provide a link to the topic on this forum so that people wanting to get involved can do so here.

However I suspect that accusing this individual of a breach of Netiquette would have the same effect as it does with most trolls. The sweet smell of 'Ignore' is the best answer.

[ June 28, 2002, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Originally posted by Fionn:

Well, the best thing to do would be not to make the original post. After all ALL GB did was quote what you had stated. That it was objectionable and rude had nothing to do with GB quoting it. It was all to do with you typing it in the first place.

Honestly, as I have recently found, you can't do anything about people quoting forum posts OR even private email in an attempt to stir up trouble/or whatever. The best thing to do is to simply NOT make the post/write the email to begin with.

I respectfully disagree, Fionn. I think that we shouldn't be fearful of posting just because some bonehead might steal our words and pretend that they are their own. We sort of have a gentleman's agreement on our messageboard here that quotes are attributed to the original source.

Lord knows, I'd sooner stick steak knives in my eyes and dance like a chicken on hot coals than agree with Mister Dorosh, but I do understand where he is coming from on this subject.

As a disclaimer, this is my oh so humble and self deprecating opinion.

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

I think that we shouldn't be fearful of posting just because some bonehead might steal our words and pretend that they are their own. We sort of have a gentleman's agreement on our messageboard here that quotes are attributed to the original source.

That's not what happened, Hiroid. But, umm, thanks for sharing anyway.

Originally posted by Fionn:

Nah, I stand by the post and I'm glad I said it - but as for Gunny Bunny taking it and using it to harrass and abuse you - well, that's my job, now isn't it! :D I mean, I work alone, if you know what I mean. It was intended to be objectionable and rude, but not intended to be a show of support for GB. It just seems fatuous to hold me responsible for GB's words, then. I mean, anything on this board can be taken as objectionable if taken out of context.

Hiram, send me your address, I will send you some steak knives.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

One thing GB did do was insert '(Fionna)' in a way that looks like it might have been Dorosh who used that taunt. Square brackets are the norm for adding editorial comment to a quotation. So, I'd say sue him for libel.

Nah, you were right the first time.

You know, we have't had a really good (bad) flamer here in weeks, I hope I didn't jinx us. I think P51D was the last good example. Now all that's left is for forum regulars to take potshots at each other until CMBB comes out.