New Scenario: Maple Leaf Down

I have posted a new scenario at the Scenario Depot titled 'Maple Leaf Down' that has been tested for PBEM as well for play against the AI. Here is the scenario briefing:

In October 1944, opening the port of Antwerp, already occupied by Allied troops, became absolutely necessary since the main supply lines ran back all the way to Normandy. Antwerp was fifty miles from the sea, connected to it by means of the broad Scheldt River. North of the river lay the German controlled South Beveland peninsula and the fortified island of Walcheren. As long as the Germans held the sea approaches and controlled the long winding Scheldt River, Allied shipping to Antwerp would be impossible. The First Canadian Army, under the command of Lieutenant-General Guy Simonds, was ordered to clear the Scheldt River. The fighting was bitter, the flooded terrain was difficult, and the Germans, securely dug in, were prepared to offer a desperate defense of the area.

The main objective of the Canadian 2nd Division was to sever the South Beveland Peninsula at a strategic point controlled by the small farming town of Woensdrecht. Through this point a railway line and road were used to transport troops and supplies for the German defenders of South Beveland and Walcheren Island. The heavy German artillery was entrenched behind the village of Woensdrecht,on the only high, dry land in South Beveland. The Germans also committed the veteran 6th Parachute Regiment, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel von der Heydte, to protect the vital location with orders to defend to the last.

On Friday, October 13th, a day known as "Black Friday", the Canadian Black Watch was ordered to make a daylight frontal assault against the railway embankment and the town of Woensdrecht. The battalion was slaughtered, losing 183 men to intense machine gun and mortar fire. On the evening of October 15th, the Canadians tried again, this time with lieutenant colonel Whitaker commanding the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (RHLI), . The Rileys launched a night attack against the town of Woensdrecht following a massive 168-gun artillery barrage. Surprisingly, when the RHLI entered Woensdrecht they met no resistance. Von der Heydte had anticipated the assault and had quickly evacuated his paratroopers from the town.

At first light on October 16th von der Heydte's paratroopers launched a fierce counter attack supported by tanks that struck the disorganized Rileys and quickly overran the lead RHLI company on Woensdrecht hill, threatening the entire battalion position. Now the undefeatable German force descended on the town proper.

http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wally's World:

I'll be downloading this one. The story of the Canadian Black Watch's 'Black Friday' was one of the stories that 'The Valor and the Horror' presented when it was shown on the CBC.

Thanks, Keith!<hr></blockquote>

No, you are thinking of Verrieres Ridge, NOT Black Friday. TVATH showed an earlier attack in July 1944.

The Black Watch loved to get wiped out; at least, vets of my regiment, The Calgary Highlanders, seem to have thought that way.

I am playtesting this one right now with Keith - seems like a lot of fun and of course it is also available at my CANUCK site below.

Anyone who plays it is encouraged to rate it at the Scenario Depot.

Keep up the good work Keith, hope you design some more Canadian stuff in the future.