LOS issues in Verkhne-Golubaya

SPOILERS

In this scenario a batallion of Russian infantry attacks a village besides a stream. It's dawn and snowing. The village is dominated by a hill to its rear and the designer has assigned a setup zone in this area and loaded it with German mortars and guns. The problem is; due to the conditions, these hvy weeapons can't see much farther than the eastern edge of the town and are thus rendered nearly useless.

The Soviets can acquire three of the four flags- located oddly in middle of the stream- without exposing themselves to significant retribution on the part of the Germans. Was this intentional?

****SPOILER****

I'm playing the scenario in PBEM as the Germans and it is very obvious that the ATGs and mortars should be re-positionned during the set-up in a more forward position in order to provide support to the defending troops.

Otherwise they will be used only to defend the Hill and if you defend the Hill, it likely you've already lost the battle.

For me there is nothing wrong with the flag positions, holding them mean you hold the village.

****SPOILER****

I don't have the scenario in front of me right now but it seems that if the Soviets are careful they can capture the river flags without ever exposing themselves to mortar/gun fire. No matter how far forward the Germans move their HQs they can only see into the eastern most fringe of the village.

****SPOILER ALERT RUSSIAN PLAYER DON'T READ****

Peter,

I'm back home and i have my set-up opened so here's my tip : I've positionned 3 ATGs + 1 MG in the patch of woods in front of the bridge (North). With excellent result BTW ;) . I left 1 ATG in the southern slope of the Hill in case a breakthrough of the Soviets.(ok, this one has no good LOS but it is here as a reserve asset).

During the set-up i have put my mortar batteries at the eastern edge of the big black set-up zone and i move them to the west at the beginning of battle. I'm at turn 22, they have put a good fight and now are all quietly falling back, as they've emptied their ammo.

A very enjoyable scenario, incredible to see a handful of vet soldiers resisting the Russians waves (some platoons are 5 or 6 men left, low ammo but still briliantly fighting).

[ November 26, 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

You wonder if that was the designer's (Dan Brown?) intention. and if the HWs didn't actually contribute to the battle from atop the hill. The parameters- snow and dawn lighting- limit line of sight. The problem is that they're

inflexible due to engine limitations and will always produce ~230m visibilty. It would be helpful if, for example, one could fine tine the degree of fog as well as LOS threshholds.

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

A very enjoyable scenario ...

Yes, it is, isn't it? It's challenging for either side, an interesting mix of units, interesting terrain, the turn limit neither rushes you nor leaves you hitting "GO" near the end, a manageable size ... That scenario has a lot going for it.