Spoiler - Totalize

Spoiler

I hesitate to post this as I have only played thru 30 turns as the Germans and 3 turns as the Allies. This scenario caught my eye and I noticed in the scenario briefing that it was highly recommended to play the Germans against the Allied AI as it was regarded as difficult for the Axis, even against the AI. Well after 30 turns as the Germans, the Allies were left with about 30 knocked out tanks to 1 Tiger and 5 PZIV's for the Germans. I stopped playing as I figured I could probably drive the Allies almost off the map. I also never saw one Allied aircraft during those 30 turns. So I decide to try the Allies against the German AI. Since the scenario's supposed to favor the Allies, I bucked up the Germans by 25%. Well, after just 3 turns, my Allied right flank attack has 6 burning Shermans from VERY long range 88 and PZIV fire. I'm probably going to start over. At any rate, has anyone else played this scenario? Initial impressions to me seem to indicate the opposite of the scenario briefing, i.e., it's pretty darn hard to win as the Allies vice playing the Germans. Lastly, since this is my very first time playing the British, who's the genius that decided that the Firefly didn't need any HE rounds????

I assume you're talking about the scenario Totalize from Der Kessel? I tested this scenario several times from the Axis side and whilst I managed to win, I wouldn't have said it was easy. As you said, you have only played through half of the scenario - there is a lot more to come. You will also find that if you are more aggressive and actually attempt to pursue your objectives, which are the capture of the allied held VF's, you will find it far more difficult.

Obviously if you sit back with your Tigers, you're not going to have much trouble plunking the majority of the allied tanks at long range.

I didn't encounter as much allied air support as I expected, but it did make an appearance. Remember, you have several AA guns as the Germans, all of which can concentrate their fire on incoming allied aircraft.

------------------

Der Kessel

Home of "Die Sturmgruppe"; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 11-17-2000).]

Hi BK,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well after 30 turns as the Germans, the Allies were left with about 30 knocked out tanks to 1 Tiger and 5 PZIV's for the Germans. I stopped playing as I figured I could probably drive the Allies almost off the map<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SPOILER ALERT !

What should I say except "You haven´t done the job yet" wink.gif I guess you are half way through and holding Gaumesnil in the west and Robertmesnil in the east ? Well your order is to take the highground north of St.Aignan. So push on your attack and take the "La Jalousie" crossing and St.Aignan de Cramesnil.

Seriously, If you can take all objecties and virtually whipe out the allies....congratulation on a job well done. Then your performance is way better than the performance of Wittmann and Waldmueller 50 years back. Remember I tried to design this scenario as close to the events that happened on 8th August as possible and the CM engine allows. Of course there is not only one way to play the scenario, but if you take the historical approach you will most likely end with the historical outcome. That´s how it is designed.

Yes go ahead and play it from the allied side as well. It´ll be hard but should be way easier than playing as the germans, or....maybe it´s just me, because I know the landscape inwards out and because I can call every hull-down position on the map with surname ?

Cheers

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891