How to destroy a bridge

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make a scenario or operation that would have a beginning of destroying a bridge, and then trying to get back to your front lines. I'm thinking along the lines of a Ranger platoon, being dropped in, hitting the objective, and racing to get out, with the Germans crawling all over the place looking for you. The Rangers would try to avoid contact, but get back to their lines. They could have arty available and maybe Tac air, but thats it for support and resupply. What do you think?

Artillery and DFHE are the only ways to destroy a bridge in CM. You could always give them artillery to do the job. Of course, there is no way to assign VPs for destroying a bridge, and you would have to specify in the briefing that they were only to call in fire if they had a direct LOS to the bridge. It would have to be an 'honor system' scenario, but that dosen't mean it coulden't be interesting.

yes there are two ways

Place a trp in front of the bridge(cant put it on the bridge itself)

And use a very heavy artillerey FO to kill it

or place lots of minefields(anti personell) on the bridge)

Engineers demo packs will blow it up than,you need about 6 demo packs to kill it

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Stoffel,

Place the TRP first, then add the bridge. Instant bridge-homing arty.<hr></blockquote>

Even so, the arty sometimes comes in not-so-accurate, wasting ammo and destroying friendly units in the vicinity. This happened to me in the scenario "Guns of Navarone." The disadvantage to this method is that you can blow the bridge even if no one is in the vicinity to:

1 - Plant the demolition charges

2 - Trigger the demolition

3 - Make sure the bridge was entirely destroyed

4 - Add more charges if bridge was not destroyed

Also, if the attacker receives reinforcements that involve bridge demolition forces (14 inch spotter...) but doesn't have control of the bridge, what would stop him from blowing it regardless? Also, the AI cannot use either method effectively, a problem which will hopefully be changed in CM: BB and/or CM2. Wood bridges can be destroyed with mortar/tank/gun fire as long as it has enough blast (a 2 inch mortar isn't going to do much).

The scenario "Decision," by russelmz, that Clubfoot mentioned above is very good. I encourage you to try it and review at the Scenario Depot (see link in sig)

Regards,

Ryan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

RussellMZ came up with a nifty bridge-demo trick in his scenario 'Decision'.

I'm not sure if it's at the depot or not.<hr></blockquote>

it's at the depot, it's in my sig link, and if you are lazy like me, you can read how to blow the bridge in the faq, also in my sig.