Artillery Improvements in CMBB??

Just wondering if there have been any upgrades to the artillery routines in CMBB. As a Gunner myself, I would have liked to have seen a few things adressed such as the ability to "adjust" more than a few meters from a TRP without having to wait for the full delay time again and some improvement on the "map fire" routine. Just because a FOO doesn't "see" a target will not cause the individual rounds to scatter wildly. The MPI (mean point of impact) may well be off but this should not make a difference in the "fall of shot" of the guns relative to one another(This is "accuracy vs consistency" You may not hit what you are aiming at but the fire should be "effective" in the area of the MPI. Would also like to see FOO's have the ability to control ammo consumption better (Scale 2 or 3 (2 or 3 salvoes) for example vs "continuous fire" (keep 'em coming 'till I tell ya to stop). Anyway, I'm rambling now (something Gunners -old ones anyway- have a tendency to do.... ;) ) Just interested in knowing what Arty Upgrades are forthcoming.

Ubique!!

GunnerJ,

Though I ran out of time (see SoCal Sneak Preview Results) before I got to see much on this, I did get to see that prep fire is in, but it arrives in the first turn and can't be adjusted at all once the aimpoint is set. From what I saw, you get a tighter pattern if the FO has LOS, but a looser one if the FO doesn't. The other development I spotted is that FOs can be either radio FOs or field wire FOs, the latter being cheaper but much slower to maneuver. From what I could tell, there are neither scheduled nor on-call fires available yet.

This is especially bad news for Ivan.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ July 22, 2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

KwazyDog,

Wonderful, but is there any way to create a fire

schedule involving a sequence of fires against successive preplanned targets? Can I have a planned prep against, say, a village on turn one,

a hill on turn five, and crossroads on turn ten? Better yet, can I have prep fires on turn one and on-call fires against preplanned likely assembly areas and dominant terrain in order to derail and disrupt the inevitable counterattack?

My understanding is that the Russians used flares and the like to call for fire to be lifted, to bring down preplanned fires against centers of resistance, etc. It would be nice if we could at least provide the same level of capability the Russians had historically via scheduled and on-call fires.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

... is there any way to create a fire

schedule involving a sequence of fires against successive preplanned targets?

Of course there is! Each target is a mission, assign one spotter for each target and there you have it! smile.gif

(Preplanned fire usually means spending lots of ammo, so dumping the "measy" ammo allotment from one spotter on each target seem right.)

Cheers

Olle

let me see if i have an understanding of how russki artillery is going to work. say he has 5 spotters. 3 could plot pre-planned arty to land on turn one. one could plot a barrage to land on turn 10, then the last one could plot another barrage for turn 15. once plotted however, the barrages cannot be changed or adjusted. is that about right?? can the axis player also use pre-planned arty in the same way??