We Fight and Die Here - advice please.

I am currently playing the massive "We Fight and Die Here" op PBEM as German player. I have never played it before. My opponent has. Is it balanced? Any tips on German strategy would be welcome. Should U just run like hell in the advance direction or do the op require a more subtle approach?

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Van_Gogh ]

Without spoiling it too much, you need to advance to secure the road nets. Any armor that you have will become bogged or immobilized off road. HTs will have better luck off road. One more thing, WATCH OUT FOR AT GUNS AND MASSIVE ARTILLERY STRIKES!

My roommate and I played this entire thing via LAN over a weeklong period. The allies won a tactical victory. Very exciting at times, and frustrating at others. Bad weather can be a dual edged sword, you will get very bad weather to deal with as well as night assaults. You have a tough assignment ahead of you as Germans. :eek:

OK. Thought so. But one thing that I have noted is that the Stug IVs are very nimble. Their low GP seem to allow them to move off road in mud conditions without bogging. It is just the first battle yet though. Guess the bad weather will make the ground change from Mud to Deep Mud. Perhaps even the Stug IVs will bog given Deep Mud GC?

The Stugs will probably never make it to the end of the battle. You need to think in terms of a Regimental action. The 1st battle is just a skirmish, trust me. Its a long way to the Chateau at the other end. This will take you months to complete by PBEM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

Without spoiling it too much, you need to advance to secure the road nets. Any armor that you have will become bogged or immobilized off road. HTs will have better luck off road. One more thing, WATCH OUT FOR AT GUNS AND MASSIVE ARTILLERY STRIKES!

My roommate and I played this entire thing via LAN over a weeklong period. The allies won a tactical victory. Very exciting at times, and frustrating at others. Bad weather can be a dual edged sword, you will get very bad weather to deal with as well as night assaults. You have a tough assignment ahead of you as Germans. :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GEEZ! You guys are nuts! You played it by LAN! I'm glad to hear that! (I designed it)

Frank

Yeah Franko,

He was off all week so I figured we would tackle the largest Bulge operation out there. We were glued to the computer everyday to complete each battle.

The Op was very closely matched to the historical events and fun to play. The post game aspect that we discussed was the tactics you have to use in each weather condition. This was a challenge. We both agreed that the Germans had little chance of victory, mainly due to the axis of advance caused by deep mud. I made it to the high ground overlooking the Chateau and wood to its front as Germans. I then had to pull back about 1 KM to avoid the massive artillery barrage on the following turn. Then the US player counter-attacked driving me all the way back to the town. I think I had mabye 1 tank left and a handful of inf and spotters. :(

Hey Franko,

Out of curiousity, did you use a book titled "Against the Panzers" by Vannoy and Karamales?

It has a chapter devoted to the Northern Bulge area called 'We Fight and Die Here.'

Great Source for those designers out there!! Although, I know that at least two chapters are already made into CM Scenarios.

Stoner

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Stone:

Hey Franko,

Out of curiousity, did you use a book titled "Against the Panzers" by Vannoy and Karamales?

It has a chapter devoted to the Northern Bulge area called 'We Fight and Die Here.'

Great Source for those designers out there!! Although, I know that at least two chapters are already made into CM Scenarios.

Stoner<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting enough, I was about 70% done with the scenario beFORE I finally found a copy of Against the Panzers...then I reworked it a little bit as a result. The title came from the reference in Charles McDonald's Time for Trumpets..but when I noticed a chapter in Against the Panzers with that name...well the name of the Operation became obvious.

Frank

Well who is better to give advice than the designer himself. May I ask U Franko if U agree with Napoleons statement that your op favors the allied player? Guess U do not. Did the playtesting confirm anything about one side or another having the upper hand?

I agree that the op favors the allied player. That would be historical..in the real battle, the US troops fought the Germans to a bloody standstill. It is a TREMENDOUS challenge as the German player, especially if the weather is bad...good luck.

Its best for PBEM/TCPIP though. But you have to have NO life for awhile.

Frank

played as the U.S. and found it to be a bit of a meat grinder at times. Jerry would keep coming right at -a- position time after time and i would be thinking "what the hell is up his ass". great game after all is done and done and done......or so you think*****

Just played it as the US (thanks to this thread for pointing it out! smile.gif) and won a walkover after the 5th scenario - the only thing the Germans had left was a 105 observer and I couldn't get to him 'cos the bridge to the little section of the map over the river on the left of he map had been demolished by 105's in the 3rd op!!

Looks like I picked the wrong side if I was in it just for easy wins. Fortunately I like challenges and I play for fun not for wins. If I am going to lose I am sure going to have fun in the process - and take as many of his boys as I can with me to the other side. It is a hell of a lot more satisfying winning depite being the underdog. And if I lose I have the perfect excuse; "well the op actually favors the allied player". :cool:

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Van_Gogh ]

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Van_Gogh ]