Question about PZ Div OOB from 40 to 41

i was reading on a website ( http://www.miniatures.de/html/int/panzergrenadiere-1939-1945.html ) that the '40 panzer division had 2 panzer regiments (1 brigade) and 1 infantry regiment. it seems that in '41 they went to 1 panzer regiment and 2 infantry regiments (1 brigade). is this correct? does that explain how they went from 10 panzer divisions during the battle of france to 20 at the outset of barbarossa, with negligible tank production in the interim? was another factor the replacing of some pz i and ii tanks with pz iii and iv? i mean would that explain where some of the 40-41 tank production went, despite few if any more tank battalions in total in the same period?

i looked at a '39 panzer division and indeed it had 2 regiments (brigade) of tanks - mostly light - and 1 regiment of infantry (2 'understrength battalions'); yet in '41 i see the single panzer regiment/full infantry brigade configuration.

http://www.freeport-tech.com/wwii

ok.. another quick question about the freeport-tech oob for the 20th panzer in '41... the 92 'recon' 'battalion' shows what appear to be 100 armored cars in 2 large companies (24 20mm/26 lmg in each company), but with 'f' inserted in the diagrams... are these french armored cars? if so, how would they be represented in cmbb?

i mean... that's one large recon battalion ... grin...

to be specific, the first site says,

"In 1940, the typical Panzerdivision had a tank brigade of two regiments, and a rifle brigade of one infantry regiment and a motorcycle battalion, as well as the usual artillery, recon, engineers, signals and other divisional assets. "

so make that one infantry regiment with a motorcyle battalion in '40, as opposed to two infantry regiments with a motorcycle battalion in '41.

right... i went to that very site and picked out a '39 division at random... and it had two tank regiments... then in looking at the '41 divsions they all seem to have 1 panzer regiment... indeed it is simplistic as you say...

what got me started on this was the thing about '40 divisions (on that other page) having two tank regiments... because immediately i thought about the freeport-tech site and rememeber all of the ones i'd looked at from '41 as having just a single regiment...

so i was wondering if, between the french and russian campaigns a lot of the panzer division expansion - increased number of panzer divisions - was (in general) done by reducing the number of tanks in each division ...

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

so i was wondering if, between the french and russian campaigns a lot of the panzer division expansion - increased number of panzer divisions - was (in general) done by reducing the number of tanks in each division ...

I think you mention tank production yourself, obviously if they have a large expansion of panzer unit without a large increase in the number of panzers that can only be achieved by cutting the number of tanks per unit smile.gif

So simplistically they did "double" their divsional strength without doubling their tank strength and, so simplistically it is as you say

they dropped a tank regiment.

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

... does that explain how they went from 10 panzer divisions during the battle of france to 20 at the outset of barbarossa, ...

Correct! The reason being that experience from France showed the importance of supporting infantry. The organisations from '41 on reflect and correct this.

Cheers

Olle

Hitler decided to double the number of pz divisions for the attack on Russia. As tank production was still painfully slow, they supplied the new divisions by cutting the number of tanks per division in half. This was not necessarily a bad thing, as unless opposition was especially tough, 200 tanks could do the job of 400..it was the shock and concentration on a key point that mattered, like the heavy cavalry of old. tongue.gif