River mod question

I'm no artist, so I wanted to know if the following would be possible.

Rivers are big old beasts in CM. What would be nice is if you could have a smaller river. However, the whole tile is still a "river", so whilst it might look different it wouldn't improve gameplay.

Can someone make a mod which, say, halves the visible width of the river, which would run roughly down the centre of the tile. The remainder of the tile could include river banks, puddles, marshy clumps, mud, etc.

You could use the "Ford" tile to make parts of this new "stream" mod crossable.

It would be a big job, and I wondered whether any talented modders out there felt that it would be feasible, and if so, whether they could take it on.

I'd do it myself, only I am ham fisted and worthless on artistic stuff.

Thanks for your comments.

I queried a couple of guys for this last year. A decent substitute, atleast if you are shooting for say a stream, would be Tom's Marsh, found on his site. When going in a straight line with a few bends or so, makes for an excellent stream. A few well placed elevations and some trees and such makes it look quite realistic. Plus you can have your troops cross at any point.

But I would like to see what you have asked for. Maybe somebody will be able to do this. I hope in future additions of the engine we'll have the oportunity to place streams as well as rivers. It'd be a nice visual addition to all the beautiful visual aditions we are so damn lucky to be getting here over the last few weeks.

Mord.

P.S I sent you a screen shot so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

[ March 11, 2002, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

I think the biggest problem would be that the smaller width of the stream would not line up with the water tile that has no coastline. If you had two small streams intersecting, the intersection would be way too wide for the rest of it.

Ooops! I just noticed there's a 'stream' thread running parallel to your 'river' thread.

The problem with simply doing a stream 'mod' is the attributes of the original tile will be carried along. Change your 'dirt road' tile into a meandering stream mod and the AI will still think its a road and drive it's tanks down the center!

I don't mean that you should convert one sort of tile into another (eg road to stream).

I meant that you could narrow the width of the river in the river tile, and flesh out the river banks with marsh, weeds, puddles, mud, etc. Even if you halved the width of the river, it would still be 10m wide(?), which is a significant distance.