Is this simulated?

I always go back to my ASL days.I know mgs are much more lethal than before.When an mg fires and the lead is flying are soft targets/humans behind the point of target and likewise in front of the point of target effected by their rounds?I believe SL used the term residual fire.

Originally posted by legend42:

I always go back to my ASL days.I know mgs are much more lethal than before.When an mg fires and the lead is flying are soft targets/humans behind the point of target and likewise in front of the point of target effected by their rounds?I believe SL used the term residual fire.

SL simulated it in a number ways - residual FP was one way, penetration was another, as well as Fire Lanes - all meant the same thing - affecting more than one target. It seems some players are reporting suppression effects on more than one target simultaneously. Wish we had an editor to do some tests...

Originally posted by legend42:

Residual Firepower was only necessary because ASL was a turn based board game, so you had to have some method of preventing other troops from freely moving through an area where your troops just fired. This was to reflect the simultaneous nature of the combat. Residual Firepower is not necessary in CM because everything is happening in 'real time'. On the other hand, the use of 'Firelanes' in ASL to reflect 'grazing fire' in MGs is not in CM because of coding issues. In fact, no other units can be hit between the target and the firer from what I can tell (which allows players to move tanks around in unusually closely packed groups since they know their own tanks will not hit each other when engaging a distant target for example).