Help destroying tanks with infantry

i played a qb, and I had this MarkIV surrounded with 3 squads of vet engineers, and a paratroop squad, the guys throw a lot of things at it, but the PzIV just backs out and the explosives explode harmlessly.

almost the same thing happened in another Qb with a hetzer and a paratroop squad.

question is, how do you damage tanks with grunts?(w/o out zooks I mean)

and also, just curious, does all german tanks have bullet-proof glass on vision slits?I'm sure some russian ones don't;the germans had designed disc grenades to be inserted into the vision slits of tanks.

and another off-topic curiosity of mine, are those russian RPG's used by afghan's copies f Panzerfaust 150's?they look awfully alike.

I3w53r,

If you have Allied inf without zooks/piats against nearby Axis armored vehicles, figure that killing the armor is unlikely. Maybe, a rifle gernade, a demo charge, a gammon bomb, etc. 'might' get lucky & get the armored vehicle. However, I would not bet on getting lucky in this situation.

Now if you have Axis inf without schrecks but with panzerfausts, you are in much better shape. Still it is a matter of luck. Indeed, the pzfst German inf is substantially better off than Allied rifle gernade inf against nearby enemy armor.

Cheers, Richard :cool: :cool: smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by l3w53r:

and another off-topic curiosity of mine, are those russian RPG's used by afghan's copies f Panzerfaust 150's?they look awfully alike.<hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure they are direct descendents of them. Their warhead is considerably more powerful though.

Got to agree with Richard.

In all my games I have only taken out one panzer with Ami inf and none with the British. However when playing as the Germans as long as I get them buttoned and attack from a concealed position allied tanks are pretty easy to disable. Have turned round a few games with this tactic!

One thing I would say, the PIAT is a better weapon than the zook though, imho.

I always play the Axis, so can only speak from that side. One tactic that can be used is swamping armour with infantry squads. If the tank has only small infantry support, you can keep its defenders busy with one platoon and run the other one all around it. It needs buttoning first, but having infantry nearby is usually enough anyway. If all 3 squads have 'Fausts left, then one of them will get him. If you don't fire at the supporting infantry, your men will get diverted and fire at the infantry instead of the tank. If you walk them, they will fire the PF from too far away.

This has worked against human and AI oppo.

From the other side, the rifle grenades don't seem to be nearly as effective as the PF's. Also, many Axis tanks have close defence systems, which inhibit even engineer attacks. The big advantage that Allies have in infantry AT capability is the PIAT. I have lost 3 vehicles in 2 turns to this little b*gger, without even finding out where it is, as there is no backblast. It's basically spring-loaded, so you won't see where it is unless you are on top of it. That's why I am happier when my oppo chooses the US forces. (though it's also because you can buy billions of Brit platoons for little money, and having lots of Brit paras and glider troops all over me is no fun at all.)

It's far easier for the germans with their PzFs. As i usually play the gi's, 'cos my best Pbem opponent likes killing tanks with PzS, i have tried a lot to do the same with bazookas and all these other stuff.....with only marginal success. In my last battle the following tactic works well.

take infantry, as much as you can effort and hop around the german tank....while doing this, using cover if avaliable, bring a gun to bear as long as the tank is distracted by your infantry....in this time, hopefully one to two minutes, bring a firefly or something like that in position and hunt the big cat down.

maybe gamey..as my opponent always yells..but it works...

keeps chance on your side during the gun duel, maybe you got two shots before the cat acquires your tank..

using infantry alone to kill big german steel cats is questionable, with bazookas on close range chances are better....still low, but better

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ron Lee:

Hey you guys about destroying armor with infantry, none of you seem to considering the crew moral of the AFV. If this can be lowered enough, then the crew of the AFV would abandon the vehicle.<hr></blockquote>

Of course, that also works well, but it's more fun to take a tank completely out. Furthoermore a tank needs a lot of punishment before the crew bails out. Usually the attacking infantry is panicked or broken (by tank mg/gun) before the tank is harmed.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ron Lee:

Hey you guys about destroying armor with infantry, none of you seem to considering the crew moral of the AFV. If this can be lowered enough, then the crew of the AFV would abandon the vehicle.<hr></blockquote>

Where is the command for shouting nasty things at the tank crews? tongue.gif