Idea for new FOW setting

Not sure how much use it would see, but what about a setting that told you nothing about the condition of your troops unless you had a designated HQ unit within LOS or C&C of it? In essence, you as the human behind the keyboard would not know whether that pixelated squad is pinned, panicked, routed, low on ammo, or even how many men were still alive unless your HQ unit was in LOS or C&C of that squad. So you can issue orders all you want and depending on the condition of the unit receiving that order, it may be carried out, or may not.

The best use of this new FOW feature would be in rumbles. But I also think it would be neat for regular play as well. Granted, I wouldn't choose this setting for every game, but I would occasionally.

What got me to thinking about this was reading the FM that said the info we get on each unit is WAY more info than a real commander ever had. So I ask, why not simulate as best we can the problems faced by a real world commander? So give the player only as much info as their in-game alter ego could gather. Understand again, this option would be frustrating at times, and as such, would not be for everyday use, but it definitely would see usage.

Thoughts? Other than I'm an idiot that is :D

I think that basically this is just simple to do with a mod, replacing the various "status" BMPs by a "????" bmp ! smile.gif

Game will still show "real" status of each squad on the map if you use the show status function, but in a solo game you can refrain from using it.

Lastly you will know when a unit isn't responsive to orders (routed/panicked) because you just can't issue the orders :rolleyes: !

Interesting idea anyway, worth a try...

I like the idea as well. I see that being an option for the game, where you can turn it on or off. I think the commanders do know to much here, and that would balance it somewhat. Its a great game nonetheless. The only time that commanders should know the status would be radio or sight.

heck, let the TacAI know the condition of it's troops. Makes it more of a challenge smile.gif .

As far as turning it on or off, not really a good idea during the game IMO. If you're playing in a rumble, or against another person, being able to turn it on or off defeats the purpose since most people will turn it on to gain that little bit of advantage.