Veterans Day, Thankyou!

*Big-Ass Bump*

Hey, that's swell of you to post that.

Here's something interesting to me: seems like most everyone thinks that Veterans Day is only to honor those who fought in wars. I was talking to one of my closest friends yesterday, giving him grief because he got the day off today (as a state employee), whilst I got nothing and liked it. He still thinks I'm joking when I say that Veterans Day is for me too, dammit!

Anyway, I checked the Department of Veterans Affairs website and they give a nice history of the day (including a comment on how many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day) as well as a statement to the effect of: "Veterans Day is for all who have served, in war or peacetime. In fact, it is largely intended to show appreciation to living veterans for their service to the country."

The irony is that it's original definition as "Armistice Day" intended it to be a day to celebrate world peace. I think most U.S. citizens see it more as a day to glorify our military history.

Oh well.....

[ November 11, 2002, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Jack Arilliac ]

As a combat infantry veteran with the 10th mountain division (Somalia and Haiti) I would like to say thank you for remembering. Even the guys who went to the smallest deployments or no deployments at all sacraficed their bodys and their time on earth to serve this country, and we really do appreciate the recognition. I appreciate all who went before me, and all who are there now.

Originally posted by Jack Arilliac

Anyway, I checked the Department of Veterans Affairs website and they give a nice history of the day (including a comment on how many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day) as well as a statement to the effect of: "Veterans Day is for all who have served, in war or peacetime. In fact, it is largely intended to show appreciation to living veterans for their service to the country."

The irony is that it's original definition as "Armistice Day" intended it to be a day to celebrate world peace. I think most U.S. citizens see it more as a day to glorify our military history.

Oh well.....

When the last war is fought we will able to celebrate peace. Until then we can only send our thanks and honor those who have sacrificed in attempt to make peace in our time..whatever time that may be.

Thank you , gentlemen.

Being a Viet Nam vet I greatly appreciate your sentiments jjelinek and all the others who joined in on this post and would like to thank you for remembering. Not so much for myself although I certainly appreciate it but for those that aren't here to read this post. For those that gave their lives. That's who I think about on this day as I'm sure you do to. So as I sit here tonight with my wine and remember days gone by I tip my glass to my fellow comrades and say " I remember and shall never forget what you gave". Rest in peace and thank you again.