Edit: problem solved

Anyone know of a way to boot up my system after I screw up something in the registry? Specifically I tried to force my board to run AGP 2x, as it was suggested this may help my upgrade probs. But I messed it up somewhere and now I can't boot with either the new Ti4600 or the old TNT 2. I'm using a Compaq 7000US series, OS is XP.

[ October 16, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

You'll probably get more help on the

Tech Board. Can you boot in safe mode?

No I'm not getting any options to. And tech forum is way too slow, thats why I posted here. I need to get this fixed tonight or else i'm in some deep doo-doo.

It turns on the right away runs scan disk, taking 10 minutes to do that, and then it goes to the login, and promptly freezes. Earlier I was getting to the desktop before it froze but now it won't even do that.

[ October 16, 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

You can always get options for safe mode - just press F8 key after the BIOS opening screen and before it starts loading the OS.

While in safe mode you should try to see if you can use the same program to take off the 2x AGP forcing (as I understood from what you wrote, you used some program)

If not, then try to uninstall and/or reinstall video card drivers.

Also you can get the windows install CD and do repair install. (or whatever it was called)

It could be useful to also check your BIOS settings.

it should tell the key combination in the first screen that opens up after starting the computer (unless video card prompts its own stuff before the BIOS :>)

From there you should try to reset the BIOS settings to defaults (however, before that, you should take up all the settings, so you can set other crucial settings as they were before the reset)

If you allow, i'll give you a tip for the future:

go for Norton Ghost and make a snapshot of your OS-partition and store it onto a separate logical partition on your HD from time to time.

With Ghost you're able to restore the complete partition or only directories - i.e. \Windows smile.gif

Ghost or something similar is a real MUST HAVE.

i.e. a few weeks ago my partition table became badly destroyed - during the BIOS screen, my comp. claimed "invalid system" for the primary partition and stopped.

Booted with start-disk, formatted the partition and restored the data from the Ghost-image - 20 minutes later, the problem was solved and all of my data the partition contained at the creation time of the Ghost image was restored.

:D

[ October 17, 2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]