Grog question: On Soviet ship names

Hans

Don't think German warships use indicators like yours today, or during the 3rd Reich (they did during imperial times - SMS), and I am reasonably certain that in Japanese you would not have the IJN in front of e.g. 'Akagi'. That would not be necessary because all the merchant marine ships are already identified by the suffix 'Maru' (meaning 'circle' I think) behind their name.

I think it is more the US and the UK who are the odd ones out?

Originally posted by Andreas:

Don't think German warships use indicators like yours today, or during the 3rd Reich (they did during imperial times - SMS), and I am reasonably certain that in Japanese you would not have the IJN in front of e.g. 'Akagi'. That would not be necessary because all the merchant marine ships are already identified by the suffix 'Maru' (meaning 'circle' I think) behind their name.

Or 'Mu' (meaning 'I ran out of paint).

Andreas,

FGS is the official designation, though it is not shown for easier reference. I'm an officer of the German Navy and believe me, every ship has even more designations. Some of them you'll never find on public websites.

Let's a take an example:

Name: Niedersachsen

Class: Fregatte

Hull number: F 208

Type designator: FFAH

National identifier: FGS

International callsign: DRXX (changed)

You'll use combinations of these items as required for each purpose.

Public designation: Fregatte Niedersachen

Communication lists: FGS Niedersachen

International public comms: DRXX (changed)

Tactical lists: FFAH Niedersachsen

Tactical (short): F 208

However, when officially addressing a German warship via comms (non tactical), you'll have to use the prefix "FGS" and this is to confirm NATO standards.

Marcus