Hill 312 AAR - warning, spoiler info

> Well done Berli! This scenario is truly evil,

> and ideal for head to head play..

Double-blind, yes. Otherwise I wouldn't. Once you know about the reinforcements the game would suffer from a 2nd play. Russian knows they're coming and sets up a welcoming commitee. German knows they're coming and it takes the time pressure off a bit and he won't push as hard and make mistakes. Still, good scenario - no doubt.

> Ouch! That kind of pitfall is why I generally

> lead w/ both teams from one split squad...

I must be the only one on here who doesn't do the split-squad recon. I have lots of bad experiences with it:

1. Attacker is usually in a lot of time pressure and using the split-squad recon effectively almost doubles the amount of time you need to move forward. I usually don't have that time and definitely didn't in this scenario. The minefield caused 1-2 casualties, the guys didn't break. It was scary but the effects were minor. It was just careless on my part which is why I mentionned it.

2. I've had split squads totally evaporate from a single attack by a well hidden enemy. Result - I lose 5 men and get NO information whatsoever other than something is close to where they get hit. I'd rather go with a full squad and have a couple guys left to give me some info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, being a megalurker I hardly post but it happens that yesterday night I played this scenario and had my ass handed over to me by the AI nicely i.e. Axis major defeat 28-72 IIRC; so could not help post my take on this.

Having read a lot in this forum about carefully nursing your troops up to the objective in CMBB as opposed to the crazy rushes a la CMBO, I moved to contact my 2 plt up the woods, which seemed natural, but yet I was unable (read dumbass bigtime :D ) to even uproot the bugger at the rightmost foxhole in the ruski line. He withstood all sorts of suppressing fire and even had the gall to capture one decimated squad of mine. That is on top of a ruski squad sneaking up behind my forces in the woods and disrupting my assault like going out of fashion

turn 25 came in with my forces in good order but ammo depleted and all VL in enemy's hands. Despite this severe spanking inflicted on me I really enjoyed the test and I would like to thank Berli for a very well thought out scenario that truly shows how close to reality this game is (oh! and thanks BTS/BFC as well)

I got a tactical victory. Sent 2 platoons along the right side, 1 up the left flank woods.

My right side attack got all the way round to the rear and side of the hill. I got there by literally sneaking (crawling) the entire part of the way that was in the arc of the bunker on that side. This was slow but worked perfectly - the bunker fired a little but couldn't stop or route anyone if they were sneaking. A lot of people complain about the sneak command but I find it indespensible. Then they formed up and 'advanced' up the slope along the light woods in conjunction with the far left platoon that went up the other side.

My missing platoon showed up before the ruskies did, so I got into their trenches and they were forced to attack up the hill after me...muhahaha.

I timed the attack a bit wrong and the right 2 platoons got to the top and knocked out that bunker there but then got pasted by the 2 82mm mortars at the other end of the ridge. Then my far left platoon took out the mortars. I didn't quite have time to take out the concrete bunker.

I lost a lot of men due to the two 82mm mortars firing at near-minimum range.

[ November 15, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Renaud ]

I'm currently getting WAXED as the Germans in a PBEM of this one. The Russians in the woods on the left wiped out a platoon and the FT, and the grunts trying to make it up the hill to the leftmost bunker have been pinned down an eliminated by MG fire from the bunker, the MG on the hill and the russian squads in the woods. I too was requesting a cease-fire when the lost platoon showed up, and they're trying to get into position , but I'm afraid they're going to be too little, too late...

Like most here, I enjoyed this scenario. I also approached it pretty much the same way most others did: default setup for the MGs 81mm mortars, and used the woods on the left to flank the enemy hill.

I ran into the enemy platoon in the woods, and got past them with few casualties. I think playing another person as the Russians will, in most cases, result in the Germans loosing the better part of a platoon to an ambush in those woods, whereas the AI is a little less dangerous. However, I did need that lost platoon when it came time to assault the hill!

Ended up with a major victory.

Mike