Help W/ Tactics plz

I think that you might want to post specific scenario questions on the Scenario Forum...

Spoiler????

=

=

=

=

=

=

You might want to use your light artillery for smoke cover to move your troops through the open areas. Keep your squads in tight with each other and leap frog them forward in order that they might support one another. I suggest you try to flank known defensive positions but I guess that is just common sense.

Hope this helps,

Yaba

Ack, I guess I probably should post specific stuff...kinda buisy so I'm getting forgetful.

I have 3 sherman 75mm tanks and some assorted inf. I got 1 105mm FO and 2 81mm FO. My problem is that whenever I try and advance the german 75mm bunker always seems to be able to see me, I've had the most success trying to go up the left hand side from the american point of view. I'm thinking that I should use smoke from the 81mm's to block the bunkers LOS and rush all my units out of it's regular LOS. I've tried this a couple times before but german panzershrecks and fausts seem to always score hits on my tanks, leaving my infantry hopeless after the german reinforcments arive. if anyone could give me some advice it would help alot.

P.S. Thx Yaba ;)

TigerKiller -- please mark spoiler posts with a spoiler warning.

spoiler --

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The best line of advance is actually through the valley on the right. At least that's been my experience.

The German pillbox doesn't have perfect LOS. Find the gaps in its LOS and put your tanks there. Keep them back, behind your infantry but with good LOS.

Your 105mm Shermans are your most valuable unit, take care of them.

Use tanks to kill MG bunkers, don't try to kill the AT bunker with them.

Scout ahead of your tanks with infantry.

Don't let the infantry get too bunched up (try to keep platoons 50m apart at least and keep squads as far apart as you can while they are still in control).

Use off board arty or (preferably) mortors to kill unarmored guns.

Use some form of overwatch. Make sure only about 50% of your infantry is moving at a time and make sure the overwatching half can see where the first half is moving.

There are some strategy and tactics articles at:

CombatHQ

Combat Missions.net

Read them.

(edited for bad links)

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Maastrictian ]

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Maastrictian ]

Spoiler........

Use the cover of the trees to advance on the right side and smoke the German positions with the motor to advance. Also keep MG and some unit in overwatch (covering) to supress any German units firing on the your advancing forces.

The pillbox in the demo version (I assume this is what you're using) is not as hard to kill as the ones in the current version are. Try to get the tanks to "see and target" the pillbox at the same time. The more guns firing at it the better. Don't bother using the Arty/Motors to damage the pillbox, it will just be a waste of ammo. Hope this helps.

Spoilers mean giving away things about a scenario that other wouldn't know going into it. A large part of the fun of the game is not knowing what you are about to face, it makes the game even harder. Mark all posts with scenario specific spoilers with a warning and some space so people don't see anything accidentally. Also, put such topics in the "scenario" forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Spoilers mean giving away things about a scenario that other wouldn't know going into it. A large part of the fun of the game is not knowing what you are about to face, it makes the game even harder. Mark all posts with scenario specific spoilers with a warning and some space so people don't see anything accidentally. Also, put such topics in the "scenario" forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, brain fart on my part :confused:

I guess I was thinking I would be giving away more then I did.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger Killer:

Sorry if I "spoiled" anyones game by having this little shindig. This is still kinda new to me. :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry too much. A lot of us have played this scenario a million times. The main thing is just to learn to post a spoiler warner. I forgot myself the other day....

General observation about FO's:

I usually use the small caliber Artillery for smoke screens. They usually have a ton of ammo and the benefit of the smoke (I think) outweighs the "penalty?" not using it to blow stuff up. smile.gif

General suggestion for use of armor: Sounds like your leading the assault with your armor. Try COVERING the assault with your armor. Position them where they can support the troops. Once the troops have taken the position move your tanks up to support them again. I'll bet you won't lose any tanks to Panzerfausts et all (it's hard to kill a tank when your dead or captured). Leaving the tanks back also helps in the retreat when your assault doesnt work, hehehe.

Of course, I usually play the Germans and if the terrain allows I use my tanks enmass a la Blitzkreig style. Even then I usually have troops right there with them. (This is an over simplified explaination of Blitzkreig BTW) smile.gif

Nedlam

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: nedlam ]

the key to this mission is the 75mm at gun in the pillbox.once its destroyed ure tanks can rag it into plomville and ure sorted. to destroy it get the 3 sherman u have at the start and buzz them straight over the hill, straight towards the pillbox (sounds stupid I know.) The pillbox has a very hard time tracking targets and cant fire while it does so ure shermans will be firing all the way down the hill and wil most probably get a front slit penetration. if not rag em' back up the hillm reapet untill pillbox destroyed smile.gif