Operations: vehicle repair/ recovery

Hi all~ When playing operations there is a chance (determined by designer?) that vehicles can be repaired and/or recovered. I assume that only abandoned, and not knocked out, vehicles can be recovered? In order to meet the conditions do I have to move the crew off the map? Does it matter which edge? Exit zones only? Or must they remain on the map?

What happens to any other units moved off the map? I believe the manual said these units would be lost for the remainder of the op? Thanks!

From my experience:

1. only abandoned vehicles, and they aren't always recovered.

2. the crew has to be alive (I hide them on the map).

3. Eliminated crew members are replaced.

4. gun damage will sometimes be repaired immediately (for the next battle).

On a side note, squads will get somewhat replentished if at least one squad member is alive.

One thing to note also is that vehicles usually are only repaired over night, ie. in operations which have no night battles, don't expect to see much recovery/repair going on, unless the "recovery/repair" option for a given side is set to the highest possible level, or the damage is fairly small (ie. immobilized vehicles).

Martin

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused. I found the spot in the CMBB manual where it discusses this. It says something to the effect of " Be aware that the crew must escape the map for the vehicle to have a chance to be repaired" unless the crew is killed or captured, which would then further delay the repair. Page 47, I think (at work, where I have no CM :( )

By escape, does that mean exit? Or not become padlocked? It goes on to say that only vehicles that burn can't be recovered, and makes no mention of knocked out vehicles.

The crew does NOT have to exit, just survive. So don't use 'em for scouts, etc. ;)

I have not had a situation where a crew has been far out from the frontlines and gotten padlocked. Not sure if the game engine will do that with crews. It it does, obviously, you will have to sneak them back into your own lines, but my hunch is that if you hide them in good cover and they survive, then they will do fine.

It may be possible if an op has several nights in it, but, in my experience, only abandoned vehicles have been repaired, never knocked out ones (whether they brewed up or not).