New (?) BUG report: Arty falling in the wrong place

&.dnm=bug.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

For your attention, I present the following.

The highlighted unit is my 81mm spotter. As you can see, he is ordered to fire on the group of Soviets in the distance.

Notice to the left of the spotter, the series of shell holes and an explosion. That is where the barrage is landing, NEXT to the spotter!

Ive never seen this before, but hopefully BTS will take note.

What, THAT off target?

I find it unrealistic that the spotter did not at least HALT the barrage when he saw the round landing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. I dont know about you, but if I called in rounds on my own position I would think something must not have been right and called over to inform the higher ups to "add a few hundred friggin' meters!"

Originally posted by The Commissar:

... I find it unrealistic that the spotter did not at least HALT the barrage when he saw the round landing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. I dont know about you, but if I called in rounds on my own position I would think something must not have been right and called over to inform the higher ups to "add a few hundred friggin' meters!"

Well, did you do that at the next orders phase?

IF answer = 'yes' THEN 'where is the problem?'

IF answer = 'no' THEN 'who is the dumbass? ;) '

Jon

Thats besides the point whether I canceled or not. I actually let it go through because I couldnt believe my eyes (still won that particular battle with a major vic, btw). A spotter is meant to spot. This guy was either asleep on his post or drunk off of captured Russian vodka.

If you as a spotter saw a bunch of rounds you ordered to fall over yonder hill drop in your lap, would you sit there and wait until your higher ups told you to add a few meters to your faulty coordinates?

That assumes, of course, that you (as the spotter) can figure out that the round falling next to you are really coming from your own artillery. It might take you a while to figure out that it isn't the enemy bombarding you. (And your rounds were just being delayed by some other problem in the chain of communications)

Commie (may I call you that?),

yeah, I see what you are getting at, but look at it this way ... if you were a tank commander, and you had been ordered into a gully from which you had no LOS, and you could hear the enemy infantry and armour moving about, would you sit there doing nothing until you died, or would you move around a bit to do something useful?

In CM, unless you order it to, that tank is just going to sit there. Just like the spotter is going to keep calling rounds down in the wrong place.

I have high hopes that the [angelic voice]rewrite[/angelic voice] will see much better modelling of the way OBA is handled in addition to all the much better thinsg we can expect. In the meantime ... [shrug]

Regards

JonS

Regards

JonS