What *is* the difference? (CDV vs BFC version)

Hi all! I've been away from this forum for a while and is now catching up.

Did a search on the subject of difference between CDV and BFC version and no post-CDV-release postings came up, so here goes...

Bought Combat Mission 2[sic] some time after the release here in Sweden 18th october.

All but the very worst fear came true;

Fear:

The game won't install/run or it will crash the computer.

Actuality:

It runs fine, as long as I use the original disk. smile.gif

Fear:

I won't be able to make a wear-and-tear copy of the disk, on separate CD or virtual CD.

Actuality:

True in both cases.

When my (non CD-standard) disk is worn out, within a decade or two, it will probably be difficult to get a new copy. :(

Fear:

No printed manual.

Actuality:

1/3 of a printed manual, the rest on file.

The choice of printed chapters seem a bit strange too;

- It's essential to have the tutorial game walk-throughs on paper, which they're not by default.

- The editor manual is also on file.

- The chapter called The Ostfront, last chapter of the manual, starts

The following is a quick listing ... meant for players familiar with CMBO. It gives a quick overview ... for those not wanting to read through the whole manual before starting up their first game.
Obviously this chapter should have a more prominent place, since nobody not interested in reading the whole manual will intuitively start with this chapter.

Anyway, I now have CDV's tiny excuse for manual together with 140+ pages of A4 printout from the PDF. They don't go well together if I wan't the chapters in order according to the table of contents... :(

Found the possibility to order the real thing instead (Thank you BFC smile.gif ) and will do so promptly!

Fear:

No intro movie.

Actuality:

I get to see CDV's logotype each time the game starts, but no movie. (Is there any in the BFC version?)

Fear:

Waffen Grenadiers instead of Waffen SS.

Actuality:

Waffen Grenadiers instead of Waffen SS. (Not very annoying.)

Fear:

Patches for CDV version will be available later than BFC patches.

Actuality:

Version 1.01 took just over a week to make it from BFC to CDV, and got some 43MB added enroute.

Someone made a comment the extra data is "vehicles" (textures?) that are supplied with the original BFC version but removed from the CDV version. Is this true? Which vehicles are concerened, apart from the ones mentioned in the BFC 1.01 readme file?

Fear:

Other differences I don't know about...

Cheers

Olle

Once both CDV and BFC versions are patched, codewise there shouldn't be any difference AFAIK. The CDV censorship can be defeated by replacing files, most of which can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/8461/mod.html

BFC version has no intro movie either, so you haven't missed anything there. You already know how to get the US manual, so that's dealt with. Yes, the CDV 1.01 patch is bigger because of textures, but I don't know which ones, exactly. I'm sure someone will post that does know.

As for being unable to copy, buy another one (if you can), and put it away for safekeeping..

Originally posted by ColdSober:

Patched the CDV version myself a couple of days ago, and was surprised to see that some of the SS runes had reappeared, at least in the scenarios list. Haven't checked yet to see if they're in-game, too. Thought this was illegal, not that I'm complaining!

There may be 2 versions of the CDV Patch out. Their web site went down for a short while and it was then reported thet the patch files had different version numbers. The runes may have been removed by now.

see CDV Patch FIles

The SS runes are back but only in the battle selection screen and probably only in the first release of the CDV patch. I'd be interested to know if anybody has installed the newer patch and see if they are still there.

Enjoy them while you have them ..... im sure they'll vanish when the next patch is released.

Even CDV cant be incompetant enough to make that mistake a second time !