Rocky Terrain Mod Request!!

Kong

I am officially requesting one of you talented modders to please create a rocky terrain tile so that you can see the bloody thing(s) when you are using an overhead camera angle.

Driving me nuts when I plot a movement order over what looks to be open terrain and then watch as my unit slows to a crawl, zoom down and... arghh d*mn rocky terrain again!

I guess the only caveat to making it visible at high camera angles is that it may be not quite as pleasing to the eye at lower camera angles. I for one am willing to make the sacrifice!

Any help is much appreciated!

I'd like to second the motion, but I have to wonder:

Is it possible? I mean, do they have their own terrain tiles?

My "fix" is to use my desired type of movement order and slowly move it along the path I intend to go to "find out" where those darn things are. You can use LOS tool to do the same thing but are unable to plot movements with it.

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

Rocky terrain tiles are just the rock doodads on grass tiles. You can't make the doodads any bigger. :(

So it doesn't have it's own .BMP file??

COG</font>

Well I am confused. If rocky is a tile how does it not have it's own .bmp?!? A Tall Pine tile has a .bmp assigned to it. Could they not assign a .bmp to the Rocky tile?!?!

Tracer, any luck making them larger, how about making them yellow or orange?!?! I am kidding sorta... I just want to be able to see the darn things when I am in God mode!! ;)

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

My "fix" is to use my desired type of movement order and slowly move it along the path I intend to go to "find out" where those darn things are. You can use LOS tool to do the same thing but are unable to plot movements with it.

That works. The other thing I do is go down to view 1 (2 will work too) and travel the length of the path I have just made to see if it travels over any undesired terrain. It's a little faster than creeping along with the cursor, but not as precise.

Michael

So can this be modded? I agree that all it really needs is to have the rocks be about 5x larger.

You could get the CMBO Normandy TC mod and try this tile:

Normandy Brush

Or, there is also this one included in Gunslinger's Subdued mod:

Subdued

Ordinairly, I'd hesitate to send out someone's mods that are part of a bigger package, but it seems silly to have to download Total Conversions when really you're after just one picture. Having said that, both of those TCs are great and if you don't have them, you really should get them.

Sorry guys, "Rough" and "Rocky" are not the same thing. Different tiles, different .bmps.

Le Tondu & Michael emrys you can do that but the whole idea is so I DON'T have to do that. I like to plot multiple vehicle/troop paths from a high vantage point, that would be a birds eye view not Puff the Magic Dragon view! lol ;)

Next!!!

Originally posted by kking199:

Sorry guys, "Rough" and "Rocky" are not the same thing. Different tiles, different .bmps.

Le Tondu & Michael emrys you can do that but the whole idea is so I DON'T have to do that. I like to plot multiple vehicle/troop paths from a high vantage point, that would be a birds eye view not Puff the Magic Dragon view! lol ;)

Next!!!

Yeah, LOL!!! Go ahead, but I never said my contibution was perfect and I never said it was permanent! It was offered to provide some solace until the modiacs come up with something.

I don't like it either. Rocky terrain should be more visible. IMO, its plain stupid that it isn't! This is just as bad as not putting trees or houses on the map when they really are there.

To those that know: Can it be made more visible by modding or will it take a remedy that is applied in a patch?

Originally posted by Stingray:

Rocky bmp #'s are: 2130 & 2131. It would be nice if some talented modder can improve the visibility of these tiles. ;)

I tried, but I don't think it can be done. The problem is that the rocks are so small, that anything above lvl3, and you can't see them anymore. :(

I think it would require a program change by BTS. Maybe we can ask for an ammendment to v1.02...

COG

The issue here is the doodads and the fact that they must be turned on to determine rocky, steppe, and cemetery terrain without using the cursor. Not only that, you must be at level two to see the steppe doodads, and level four to barely determine rocky and cemeteries. This was my first and only real complaint about CMBB. If you like to play from the higher views you're just SOL when it comes to rocky, cemeteries, and steppe terrain.

Rocky terrain is not "rough" terrain. Rocky is depicted by doodads ONLY. Rough is a regular terrain tile.

Treeburst155 out.

[ November 26, 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]