tanks immobilized in light snow and on tracks (trains)?

I did a search in the forum, but couldn't find useful info.

I'm going to play a PBEM scenario with light snow.

I don't have any experiences with this ground conditions: is it dangerous for tanks to become immobilized?

I'm also wondering how dangerous it is for tanks (Panther), if they are moved on tracks (for trains; my dictionary gave me this word).

If i'm remembering correctly, months ago i lost a halftrack and a StuG when moving on tracks.

Anyone with experiences?

[ August 15, 2002, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

STAY OFF THE TRACKS!!! smile.gif

Seriously. I've lost too many tanks to crossing train tracks. Cross them at right angles (perpendicular) when they have to be crossed.

As far as light snow, I've found no real additional hazards. Pretty much the same as "damp" conditions in my opinion.

Good luck! smile.gif

Gpig

When the ground is moisted due pure water (eg rainfall) or anything else (light snow) your vehicles are always under the threat of getting immobiliezed. And nothing is more frustrating and hazardous then your lead tanks in an attack that get trapped and turn into sitting ducks...

Your tanks are more likely to immobilize in light snow. I've never done a careful test, but in my experience, the additional risk is not too great. The Panther's ground pressure is pretty good, so you're probably safe maneuvering off-road so long as you don't overdo it. From my experience, the chance of bogging in light snow is about as bad as "damp" ground.

Train tracks are very bad for tracked vehicles - in my expereince the chance of throwing a track is very high. Avoid moving on them as much as possible. In my experience (again, not a careful test), Just crossing over them is usually OK, but definitely don't move on top of them for any distance.

Oh, and your usage of "track" is correct. Usually in English we say "train tracks" as "track" is rather non-specific. A "track" could be the fooprints of an animal, the general path a moving object is following, or any of a variety of other things. "Train tracks" is very specific and means only the rails on which a train runs.

Your English is very good, btw.

Cheers,

YD

Also, your chance of becoming immobilized increases substantially if you move "fast." I don't think I've ever had a tank bog in light snow (or damp ground) when it has been moving at "move" speed. So if you can afford to wait, it's best to move slowly.

It's my impression that the bogging risk with "hunt" is midway between "move" and "fast," but I don't actually know if this is right.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

From my experience, the chance of bogging in light snow is about as bad as "damp" ground.

Just curious about this because frozen ground with an inch or so of snow doesn't strike me as much of a bogging threat to tracked vehicles (in real life, I mean). Or am I the victim of conditioning by too many lite documentaries' assertion that the autumn freeze allowed the panzers to resume their drive in Moscow in late '41?

[ August 15, 2002, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Offwhite ]