Shoot n Scoot

I was using this command frequently with the 2 KVs in the Kursk scenario, but when I first used it I was a little unsure about it. The second waypoint has the same color as a move command so it isn't clear what the tank will do when it scoots. I found that the tanks will reverse back into cover with the second waypoint so I think it may be better to give the scoot leg the purple reverse color rather than the blue move color. Unless the tank can scoot forward too?? I admit I never tried that. Maybe the AI knows whether it is smarter to reverse or to go forward??

Heya Jon smile.gif

Yup, Im pretty sure that a tank can scoot where ever it wants smile.gif For instance it could rush out from behind a house, fire a shot and then rush forward behind some trees. It makes those early war fast Russian tanks nasty at times.

Dan

[ September 02, 2002, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

• 1 month later...

I've never had a problem with shoot&scoot, but I always use it for very short distances, i.e. move up 20m to hull down on a crest, then reverse back below crest. I suspect the problem may come when you make the second leg of the order a long distance.

I had a problem that I posted in another thread a week or two back. Briefly, I had my AFV making a 90° turn onto the shoot portion of its order, and then instead of stopping and firing at the end of the shoot leg, it continued turning until it was headed back the way it came. I got it to stop doing that by making the shoot leg longer. In this case, it needed to be longer than about two or three vehicle lengths, but that could vary with the vehicle.

I was able to work this out because I save each turn at the end of the orders phase. So I was able to go back and reload that turn, change the order, and then run it to see what the change did.

Michael

I suppose there would be no point in scooting forward unless it was to better cover. Like hull down, it gives the program a chance to do something on its own without detailed orders from the player. Im sure it was designed for a forward then backward kind of action. Given the large scale of many of these battles I find myself givng commands via the tank platoon leaders rather then individual tanks. More realistic CinC I think