Chance Encounter = Chicken Shoot?

Emthon

Working my way through the CD, after Chambois, comes Chance Encounter. Um, I presume this one is supposed to be quite easy? I scored an Allied major victory after 18 turns. Wiped out the StugIIIGs after maybe 4 turns. I kept the Shermies moving and x-firing to suppress the Panzerschrecks. I did lose a Sherm late to a gutsy Infantry squad that rifle grenaded (what is the German version for it?) I also managed to find their Arty Spotter before he started to drop rounds on my immobilized Sherm just south of the church. Fighting for the "hill" marker was pretty intense. However, with coordinated suppression from my tanks, some stalwart Veterans storming the hill, and a clean sweep by some Regulars to flank the enemy, the situation was well in hand. By the time the reinforcements arrived, there was not much to mop up. In fact, my last move to pull my "low" ammo platoon back and have the reinforcements take their place, was the Major Victory move... So, I am wondering, what can make this one an ugly battle?

L8r,

Em

The search function is a wonderful thing... wink.gif I just should have used it before I posted my "newbie" post. Heh. I see that playing the Axis, which I innately felt, would have made a more difficult game. Perhaps I will....

Kingfish: Yes, playing against humans is always going to make it tougher!

L8r,

Em

[This message has been edited by Emthon (edited 09-28-2000).]

I don't think you should count wins at all against the AI. If you didn't beat a human, all it was, was a drill.

The AI is good for newbies to get a feel for the game and practice rudimentary tactics (but an even better way to get familiar with the game in a hurry is to play a hotseat by yourself) and that's about it.

re: Human vs Puter opponents. Yeah, I know that. However, there are some scenarios that the TacAI can really excel in playing. I have played online games for many years and definitely agree with you, the human element is still superior. Unless, you are playing against a newbie (like me wink.gif)

Ok, played CE as the Axis forces. While not materially harder, it did take me longer to get the Axis Major Victory. Something like 25 turns. (I knew the Allied forces were beat after about 15!) My Stugs did a darn fine job of knocking out 3 Shermies before the last of my Stugs acquiesed. Thankfully, the combination of a strong right-side (Axis view) presence and a hidden left-side presence, drove the remaining two Sherms to the left side. They both bogged down while still on the Allied side of the road. Heh. The 2 Sherms were still pretty lethal and cut off all my attempts to get my infantry from the church to the Allied-side woods. Also, my PzSchrecks had abysmal aim and served only to infuriate the tank commanders and 50 cal gunners. I do give a tip of the helmet to my Arty Spotter. I got him situated on the Axis wooded hill on the right side and managed to lay down some deadly arty on the troops as they were clumped in the scattered trees. It was pretty brutal! In order to get the tanks, I ended up running some infantry from the farmhouse to the closest tank. It was not pretty. They were dodging (and not) 50 cal fire as they came across the wheat field, up the hill, and to the side of the Sherm. Two rifle grenades later from 15 meters and there was only one Sherm. The final Sherm succumbed to a PzSchreck in the side. It was probably the 10th one fired from the church. I must have had 3 or 4 PzS squads try the shot. After that, it was a pretty simple mop up operation. Most of the Allied forces were in a Panic or Broken state. On to the next scenario....

L8r,

Em