Line of Sight

I'm brand new to CMBO. Someone told me about the game and I tried the demo. I then purchased the Special Edition a few days ago. Over all, it's an incredible game. However, I wonder sometimes about the lines of sight determination being unrealistic at times.

In a recent game, a German tank knocked out a Sherman it never should have been able to see. The panzer was on a small hill and the Sherman was in a small gully. It was also about thirty meters behind a two-story building. The German tank hit the Sherman from 320 meters away. The target line actually went through the corner of the building.

I looked at things from the perspectives of both tanks and from many different angles. The Sherman just should not have been spotted. It was ridiculous that it was.

I've seen numerous questionable LOS sightings. This one was just the worst. Is there some explanation for this or is it just the way it is in the game?

For the engine, vehicles are just non-dimensional points. LOS are traced from, and to, a point in the middle of the vehicle.

If anything, LOS are restrictive. Many times a building has blocked my LOS, despite the rear part of the vehicle was clearly visible. Your report is very strange, do you have any pictures of that situation?

Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

ACtually, it's possible (but very unlikely) to get LOS through the middle of a building. This usually only happens if the shooter and/or target are fairly close to it, though. This is to abstract things like windows, shellholes in walls, etc.

I actually thought of something like that. I suppose it's *possible* the panzer CO saw the Sherman through a window, through the building, and through yet another window....

I wish I had a picture of the situation. I never thought to take a screenshot.

This sounds familiar. Someone did post a screenshot on this topic in the CMBB forum recently:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=007697#000000

Either the Russian KV was shooting through the building windows or it was bouncing shells off a low-flying Sturmovik.

At very close ranges the "window" reason sounds plausible, but when searching for the link above I found another example, for CMBO, that looks more far-fetched. Careful where you park:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=007162#000001