ASL Scenarios - are they any good???

Guest MikeToth

Guest MikeToth

Quick question for anyone who has played

any of the ASL scenarios...... how is the play balancing????..... I have played several packaged and user created "non" ASL scenarios and found them excellent..... just

wanted to know how they stack up against the original CM type scenarios...

thanks

Mike

Mike,

There are some good ones at the following website. At this point most focus on infantry with only some armor and are small compared to the scenarios found on the CD and at other websites. This is not a bad thing at all as it allows players to concentrate on base tactics and not get overwhelmed by trying to manage a batallion of infantry, two companies of armor, and three batteries of artillery all trying to push their way down one snowbound road smile.gif . Good ones to check out include Le Manoir, Defiance on Hill 30 and Marine Ambush. Make sure to read the notes so you know which side you should play if playing the AI and whether the AI setup can be made freely or if it should use scenario setup default.

Harold

http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

Lane,

ASL stands for Advanced Squad Leader. It is a 20+ year old tactical boardgame that still has an excellent following. There are roughly 1500 official and unofficial scenarios stretching from 1937 to 1950. Most use geomorphic boards although the historical modules are played on maps that were adapted from aerial photographs of the actual terrain. In some cases the Historical ASL designers actually walked the terrain. Some of these scenarios are being converted into CM Battles. You do not need to know anything about ASL to play the converted CM scenarios. They are just played in different mediums. Like an original CM battle they are best played with full fog-of-war vs a live opponent. Make to check out both sides Order of Battles, setup areas, etc. if you play against someone who also plays ASL. This stuff IS known to both sides and it will put you at a disadvantage if your opponent knows what you have but you don't know what he has. Hope this helps..

Harold

Is there any reviews I can reference to about converted ASL scenarioes?

Many I scenarioes I played are small, with very large maps -- which converts to larger possilbe tactics options. Some are very challenging. I think the ASL2CM site had a poll on the best "Human vs. AI scenario" but well I think I need a critics on this one.

The only major gripe on the scenarioes is they come out faster than I can play them. Damn, where can find a time dialation device?

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(